Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Workbench

Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Attached Thumbnails
Workbench-workbench-jpg  Workbench-tool-tray-jpg  Workbench-storage-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Jim Hall" wrote in
:

Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know
before I add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains.
Instead of a tool tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout
tray for that purpose. Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually
functions that way. The vise on the far end has/uses two rows of
round holes across the bench to add a little flexibility for using
hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Wow!!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a
tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Very Nice! Is this the Veritas/Lee Valley design bench? I notice the big
twin veritas vise on the end of the bench. I always loved that design of
vise.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I'm not familiar with that design. It is a veritas twin screw end vise.
This bench is similar to Lon Schleining bench design in his book "The
Workbench". I ditched the wide apron on his so that I could have
unfettered clamping access to the bench top. I also added a groove under
the bench top and rail to the bottom stringer for a bench deadman, and a
cabinet.

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know
before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a
tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Very Nice! Is this the Veritas/Lee Valley design bench? I notice the big
twin veritas vise on the end of the bench. I always loved that design of
vise.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a
tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Problem: Too damned pretty to use!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Christopher Schwartz says two coats of Danish oil and a coat of wax will
keep glue from sticking.. We'll see. Yeah, I put a couple dents in it
already and thought I should steam them out and then remembered its only a
bench. No doubt, the way I work, one good project should eliminate
"pretty"..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know
before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a
tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Problem: Too damned pretty to use!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sweet
Mike m

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:17:06 -0800, "Jim Hall"
wrote:

Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a
tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

I think you should use this bench, to build a bench, that you will not be
afraid to use. ;~)

Very nice!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jim Hall wrote:

Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains.

... or gouges from router or chisel slips.

/not that that kind of thing ever happened to me. I just heard about it
happening to someone I know

Instead of a
tool tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that
purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to
add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Rob Leatham
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jim Hall wrote:

Christopher Schwartz says two coats of Danish oil and a coat of wax will
keep glue from sticking.. We'll see. Yeah, I put a couple dents in it
already and thought I should steam them out and then remembered its only a
bench. No doubt, the way I work, one good project should eliminate
"pretty"..

It does look very nice and extremely functional

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know
before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a
tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Problem: Too damned pretty to use!

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..

Very, very nice! Your skill shows..

Bill

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 15:57:25 -0800, "Jim Hall"
wrote:

Christopher Schwartz says two coats of Danish oil and a coat of wax will
keep glue from sticking.. We'll see. Yeah, I put a couple dents in it
already and thought I should steam them out and then remembered its only a
bench. No doubt, the way I work, one good project should eliminate
"pretty"..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know
before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a
tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Problem: Too damned pretty to use!

I think some dents, gouges,scratches, glue stains and general mayhem
wuld make it even prettier!

Well done! Jealous here.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 11/6/09 5:17 PM, "Jim Hall" wrote:

Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

It is a thing of beauty - and very functional. Now you have us all feeling
jealous!

Tell us more about the materials that you used. What is the dark strip in
the middle of the top? It makes a striking contrast. What finish did you
use?

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done.. Jim Hall

Problem: Too damned pretty to use!
Ed Pawlowski

x2! It is very pretty. I'm sure that will change as it gets used, but
still a very impressive build. Someone else said jealous, I concur. If
I only had room for a workbench like that. sigh Now you'll have to
show us everything you make on it!!

Is that a DeWalt 788 I see off to the side? I have one and love it.

`Casper
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:17:06 -0800, the infamous "Jim Hall"
scrawled the following:

Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way.

Tool troughs give you a love/hate relationship. If you put tall tools
in 'em, they gouge wide boards which are set on top. If you put
smaller tools in it, they collect screws which chip the irons or
scratch the cheeks. Or wider projects cover up the tools you need to
get to which are stuck in the trough. (Murphy Rules! Just ask him.)

Tool benches are a great place to use Watco or Waterlox finish. As
low-solids rub-ons, they'll hide the daily scratches without adding a
thick and slick coating which'll mess with you.

The vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Very well done, Jim. I love those Veritas vises, too. drool

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thanks, Robert. It ended up taking 150 BF of Beech to construct the bench
frame and top by the time I finish. Some goofs, some cut off waste and
lots of saw dust, plane and planer shavings. The top is 27 inches wide, 75
inches long and 3 1/4 inches thick. The cabinet is maple ply, maple drawer
fronts with poplar for the secondary parts. The strip in the middle is
walnut as well as all the accents, drawer pulls, etc. It was finished with
two coats of danish oil, a penetrating finish made up primarily of tung oil
with some urethanes and volatiles thrown in. -Jim

"Robert Haar" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Ha Rob.. Router gouges.. LOL.. yes, I already did that during
construction; but patched it very well and most people would not notice. A
couple butterfly or bowtie plugs installed in the future from gouges might
add a nice character to the top.. When I get old.. older.. and can't
handle power tools anymore, I'll have this bench to work with hand tools.
A lifetime investment for me..

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
Jim Hall wrote:

Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know
before
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains.

... or gouges from router or chisel slips.

/not that that kind of thing ever happened to me. I just heard about it
happening to someone I know

Instead of a
tool tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that
purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to
add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Rob Leatham

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Hi Leon.. Thanks. Yeah, no.. No more benches. It took a major
reorganization to make space for this one..! I figure it's thick enough to
stand several restoration planings in the future. My old bench, the table
saw, with its really bad clamping ability is now delegated to its rightful
use...

"Leon" wrote in message

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know
before I
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a
tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

I think you should use this bench, to build a bench, that you will not be
afraid to use. ;~)

Very nice!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Thank you all for your generous compliments.. I must say to this day I
still angst a little for not building one of the more classic style benches;
but in the end I looked at what I planned to use the bench for and then
decided what it should be. You can't build all of the options into one
bench and so in the end it's trade-offs.. I highly recommend Schleinging"s
"The Workbench" or Schwarz's "Workbenches" book. They really help you
focus on bench design and options that meet your needs.. -Jim

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Finished this today. Took a few pictures for posterity. You know before
add the woodworker's patina of scratches, dents, stains. Instead of a
tool
tray built into the bench top, I added a pullout tray for that purpose.
Guess I'll see now if in practice it actually functions that way. The
vise
on the far end has/uses two rows of round holes across the bench to add a
little flexibility for using hold down gizmos. Glad its done..

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 15:45:59 -0800, "Jim Hall"
wrote:
but in the end I looked at what I planned to use the bench for and then
decided what it should be. You can't build all of the options into one
bench and so in the end it's trade-offs.

When I started getting ready for a decent work bench, (at least what I
consider a decent work bench) I didn't have to look very hard. I'm
putting together a bench very much like the one my father had and the
same one I used until I moved out when I was 19 years old. After that,
any bench I had was a cheap imitation using single sheet of 3/4 inch
ply as the bench top.

Now I'm putting something together that will be much more steady and
long lasting. Sure, there's always improvements and new methods to
consider, but it always comes back to me to build a bench similar to
what I was happiest using when I was a kid. Maybe in reality, I'm
trying to reclaim some of that childhood innocence and happiness I
remember, but if that's what it is, then I'm fine with it. My only
true improvement with this present day bench will be the addition of
dog holes. Didn't have them before and so, didn't miss them at all.
But, I'll always think of my Dad every time I use this new bench. That
can't be a bad thing.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Jim Hall wrote:

Thank you all for your generous compliments.. I must say to this day I
still angst a little for not building one of the more classic style
benches; but in the end I looked at what I planned to use the bench for
and then
decided what it should be. You can't build all of the options into one
bench and so in the end it's trade-offs.. I highly recommend
Schleinging"s
"The Workbench" or Schwarz's "Workbenches" book. They really help you
focus on bench design and options that meet your needs.. -Jim

Jim Landis Workbench book is also a good resource

Rob Leatham
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

That makes design easy then..! I'm going to try and make some round wooden
bench dogs with a ball catch mounted on the side to keep it from falling
through the bench dog hole... Catches like these, I think..

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005...on#information

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote:

That makes design easy then..! I'm going to try and make some round
wooden bench dogs with a ball catch mounted on the side to keep it
from falling through the bench dog hole...

You are going to hold your nose but the plastic dogs for a B&D
Workmate fills the design spec above.

Would you prefer black or orange?Grin

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 09:51:12 -0800, "Jim Hall"
wrote:

That makes design easy then..! I'm going to try and make some round wooden
bench dogs with a ball catch mounted on the side to keep it from falling
through the bench dog hole... Catches like these, I think..

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005...on#information

Sounds like work that may not be necessary. There are dogs that have
their own friction spring clip so they don't slip through and there
are dogs with the surface part wider so they don't slip through.
Here's a few examples.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41637,41645
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43838,43847
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41637,41645
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I think I can make a wooden one much cheaper and save accidental plane iron
and chisel dings from the metal ones. A 6" or 8" piece off a 3 foot 3/4
inch maple dowel, a bullet catch inserted in a drilled hole on the side and
a slightly angled band sawed face cut and that should be about it.. A
couple dollars each at the most.. Found some bullet catches on Rockler site
for a little over a dollar each..

wrote:

That makes design easy then..! I'm going to try and make some round
wooden
bench dogs with a ball catch mounted on the side to keep it from falling
through the bench dog hole... Catches like these, I think..

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005...on#information

Sounds like work that may not be necessary. There are dogs that have
their own friction spring clip so they don't slip through and there
are dogs with the surface part wider so they don't slip through.
Here's a few examples.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41637,41645
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43838,43847
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41637,41645

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote:

I think I can make a wooden one much cheaper and save accidental
plane iron and chisel dings from the metal ones. A 6" or 8" piece
off a 3 foot 3/4 inch maple dowel, a bullet catch inserted in a
drilled hole on the side and a slightly angled band sawed face cut
and that should be about it.. A couple dollars each at the most..
Found some bullet catches on Rockler site for a little over a dollar
each..

Buck a piece seems a little much.

Doubt B&D WorkMate replacement dogs would cost $0.50 each.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:39:23 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Jim Hall" wrote:

I think I can make a wooden one much cheaper and save accidental
plane iron and chisel dings from the metal ones. A 6" or 8" piece
off a 3 foot 3/4 inch maple dowel, a bullet catch inserted in a
drilled hole on the side and a slightly angled band sawed face cut
and that should be about it.. A couple dollars each at the most..
Found some bullet catches on Rockler site for a little over a dollar
each..

Buck a piece seems a little much.

Doubt B&D WorkMate replacement dogs would cost $0.50 each.

Lew

$1.78 here

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...79-033_TYPE_10
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote:

I think I can make a wooden one much cheaper and save accidental plane
iron and chisel dings from the metal ones. A 6" or 8" piece off a 3 foot
3/4 inch maple dowel, a bullet catch inserted in a drilled hole on the
side and a slightly angled band sawed face cut and that should be about
it.. A couple dollars each at the most.. Found some bullet catches on
Rockler site for a little over a dollar each..

I just cut off some bolts that fit the holes in my bench. I got rid of the
threaded part and was left with smooth sides. The bolt head keeps it from
going throuth the hole.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:39:31 +1100, Avery wrote:

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:39:23 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
$1.78 here

$0.65 cents each at Lee Valley, but then you have to buy them in 100's
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...49&cat=1,44047

or

$0.80 each in singles.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41399,41404
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:39:31 +1100, Avery wrote:

$1.78 here

Made a mistake. $6.50 for 100. That's 6.5 cents each.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...49&cat=1,44047
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Avery" wrote:

$1.78 here

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-b...79-033_TYPE_10

Greedy little pricks.

Lew

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:00:08 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 12:39:31 +1100, Avery wrote:

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 16:39:23 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
$1.78 here

$0.65 cents each at Lee Valley, but then you have to buy them in 100's
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...49&cat=1,44047

or

$0.80 each in singles.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41399,41404

Wasn;t talking about bullet catches, although that is good
information, thank you. I was talking about B&D Workmate benchdogs.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 03:40:23 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Anyone else already ordering and want to split a bag? I'll give you
$6.50 for 50 of 'em, delivered to Oryguns.

Actually what will double the price or triple it is Lee Valley
delivery. Find someone to pick them up for you and then it's
worthwhile.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

A prototype round wooden bench dog with leather glued to face and bullet
catch inserted on side. According to what I've read leather is easier on
wood and grabs better. Seems to work ok. I think the rest I'll turn on
the lathe out of a highly figured piece of cocobolo.. Just kidding..
grin Maybe walnut though..

. ..

wrote:

That makes design easy then..! I'm going to try and make some round
wooden
bench dogs with a ball catch mounted on the side to keep it from falling
through the bench dog hole... Catches like these, I think..

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005...on#information

Sounds like work that may not be necessary. There are dogs that have
their own friction spring clip so they don't slip through and there
are dogs with the surface part wider so they don't slip through.
Here's a few examples.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41637,41645
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43838,43847
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,41637,41645

Attached Thumbnails
Workbench-pict580712-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Jim Hall" wrote in message
. ..
Snip

My old bench, the table
saw, with its really bad clamping ability is now delegated to its rightful
use...

Geez, I can still relate. ;~(

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:38:33 -0800, "Jim Hall"
wrote:

A prototype round wooden bench dog with leather glued to face and bullet
catch inserted on side. According to what I've read leather is easier on
wood and grabs better.

Looks pretty neat. I guess I just have one question and that is how
much stress is a wooden dog like yours able to take? I'd be
apprehensive of it breaking off. Guess you'll find out.

New workbench David Bridgeman Woodworking Plans and Photos 19 June 29th 07 02:28 PM
Which workbench to buy? Louis Ohland Metalworking 14 May 2nd 06 03:00 PM
Workbench Plans Added to Workbench Website Tim C Woodworking 9 March 24th 05 03:13 AM
workbench Chris Woodworking 0 November 27th 04 08:16 AM
WORKBENCH J T Woodworking 0 March 14th 04 06:13 AM