mrdancer

Default Is Usnet Dying?

"Philski" wrote in message
And to think, Digital Research was first approached by IBM for a new
operating system and because they thought IBM would be like the Borg,
they ended up turning it down - enter then Microsoft and the rest is
history....

The story I heard was that the Digital Research CEO was on a plane heading
for vacation, and couldn't be bothered with IBM (DR thought they were the
only software game in town). That's when IBM got in touch with Bill Gates.
Gates promised an operating system (OS) on a very short timeline and IBM
jumped on it. However, Gates wanted to maintain the rights to the OS. IBM
said "sure", not realizing the power that that one little decision would
provide in creating the MicroSoft monopoly.

Anywayz, Gates quickly cobbled together the OS and dubbed it QDOS (Quick and
Dirty Operating System). Later, the Q was dropped and the acronym became
DOS (I used to think it meant "Disk Operating System"!).

DOS evolved into the Windows GUI. So, the basis of Windows was a quick and
dirty operating system. And folks wonder why Windows has so many
problems.... ;-)