Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default contractor saw belt vibration

Christopher Glaeser wrote:
Once I replece the belt with a new, round one, or one of those "link"
belts, I bet it runs smooth as butta.

Yeah, I think I'll do that. I don't use it much and it sits for long
periods, so I'm guessing it has a memory kink. Thanks!

I hear folks claim that but I've never seen it in 40 years or so--once a
tool runs for a few minutes at most any belt I've ever had has had no
apparent belt "memory kink".

Go to the Gates Rubber or other major belt manufactuer's site for
tips/guidelins on v-belt tensioning/applications. I also personally
don't think there's any significant difference between an "industrial"
belt as opposed to "automotive" for small-sized belts (4L, typically) as
used on woodworking equipment. Electric motor rpm of 3450 vs 2-3000
typical cruise rpm for automotive applications is pretty much
overlapping. Somewhat higher torque loadings, but most belt spec's far
exceed those anyway.

I suppose _perhaps_ some of the more recent Chiwanese stuff may use some
really inexpensive belt that has some of these problems but certainly
everything I've ever had it's never been an issue.

I'd look at whether the pulleys are truly concentric machined pulleys or
cheap cast-zinc hardware store varieties, whether they're really tight
on the shafts (motor and driven) and aligned properly as primary culprits.

If it is a saw w/ more than a single drive belt, be sure to get matched
pairs/triplets depending on number required. These days Gates adds a
suffix number at the time of manufacture that indicates those that are
within a specified tolerance instead of the old "hunt and measure" days
or buying actual sets.

$0.02, imo, etc., etc., ...