Posted to uk.d-i-y
CL[_2_] CL[_2_] is offline

Default Old LaserJet 5 with paper jam

"Lobster" wrote in message
I currently have an old LaserJet 5 printer - bought it off ebay for about
£35 delivered a few months ago and have been delighted with it (not least
of which because I can get original HP toner carts for it via

snip

My advice is stick with it and do the repair - these are excellent printers
and a real workhorse.

In fact I currently have a Laserjet 4+ ( surplus ) advertised locally at
£35 - I picked up 2 of LJ4+ and a LJ5 with 2 additional cut sheet bin
feeders for free a few months ago.
One I needed for my daughter who recently moved out. I gave one to a
neighbour who does a lot of mono printing - and put the other for sale only
today.

For years I have used a Laserjet 5 as my main printer. ( That's a 5 not a 5P
or 4P - different beasts ).
It has a duplex unit ( very worthwhile & difficult to find ) added, an
additional cut sheet bin feeder and an HP Jetdirect card to put it on my
network, plus an additional 16MB of memory.
Big printouts use only half the paper, are half the thickness and weight,
and cheap.

I recently bought an HP 92298X replacement toner cartridge for my main
printer for £10 on eBay - that is expected to do about 10,000 ( yes
thousand ) A4 page sides - you can't go wrong compared to an inkjet.
I have an inkjet too for photo printing.

JetDirect network cards are available on eBay, usually cheaply for this
model.

The 4+ printer I am selling has a page count of over 500,000 and performs
perfectly.

I have an IT job history so am familiar with the printers from years ago,
that's why I bought it.

Repair and keep it, don't think you'll regret it for mono printing.

They are the Volvo's of the printing world, they just keep going with the
odd hiccup now and again.
And, yes, I have a Volvo 240 too.

Somewhere, on one of my machines I have the repair manual and will send it
to YOU personally when I come across it.

..