Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old LaserJet 5 with paper jam

I currently have an old LaserJet 5 printer - bought it off ebay for
about £35 delivered a few months ago and have been delighted with it
(not least of which because I can get original HP toner carts for it via
the same route for a tenner - many thousands of sheets of paper later
and I'm still on the first cart - what's not to like?!)

Unfortunately it's just developed a paper jam error and I'm wondering if
any of the IT gurus here might be able to advise? It's gone straight
from never jamming at all, to doing so 100% of the time: the paper is
picked up OK but jams just before it enters the fuser assembly. I've
asked a couple of commercial outfits locally but they tell me it's not
worth the cost of them even looking at it, which nearly makes my hair
bleed - I'm convinced the problem is going to be something really
trivial to someone who knows what to look for, and I'm appalled at the
thought of just skipping the printer, as advised.

I've been trawling the net for solutions; best site appears to be
www.fixyourownprinter.com which (I think) seems to be suggesting paper
sensors; if that's the case I can't find them! (I can't relate the
photos at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/ref...des/sensors/ex
to my own machine TBH).

Any ideas, anyone? Does the paper sensor thing make sense?

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:26:42 +0000, Lobster wrote:

[...]

I wonder if the fuser rollers are actually turning. It's easy enough to
remove the fuser. You can check that the two drive gears (one on the
fuser, one on the chassis) are not damaged. You can also turn the gear on
the fuser and see if both rollers actually turn.

I may have some s/h parts...

To get the fuser out, open the rear flap. There are two vertical screws
fixing the visible side of the fuser baseplate down into the chassis.
Remove those and it slides out. The flap is best removed first; unhitch
the plastic strap and take out the little plastic latch on the hinge,
then slide the flap sideways to release the hinge pin.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Just to add, if the fuser film has torn, then you can get just this part
cheaply off eBay too
220501582378 - £7.99 inc postage

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
[...]

I had a 5L and as you say, it would print forever. I e mailed
fixyourownprinter and got back a pretty amateurish CD that showed what
to do, some paper 'guide' parts and a new pick up roller and ended up
with the same problem you did. The paper was picked up perfectly, but
fell about 6 mm short of the rollers to get it into the fusing roller.
In the end I gave up.
Later, I found that HP printers are notorious for paper pick up
problems, with age.
I was given an HP 2575 all in one about a year ago, with paper pick up
problems. After cleaning the pick up roller, it still wouldn't pick up
the paper reliably, so I fed it a sheet of 150 grit sandpaper and held
on to it until it said paper feed error twice. This printer is now fine
and still working more than 12 months later.

I have a suspicion that the diameter of the pick up roller was below the
right diameter. But as I have now dumped the printer, I can't be certain.

Sorry I can't be of any help to you.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Nov, 17:52, "Toby" wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

[...]

May I tap into this Laserjet 5 knowledge resource please?

My folks have a Laserjet 5P that will only print if fed single sheets
one at a time through the "other media" (sic) flap. I.e. if it takes
paper from the cassette underneath it will jam, but if fed manually
single sheets all is well, if infuriating!

Any thoughts please?

thanks

JimK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Excellent, Bob, thanks - far better info than I could glean from all my
web-surfing! I duly popped out the fuser unit and sure enough, the
central large plastic gear wheel is in bits. :-(

So, not so excellent in that it's rather more serious than I thought but
at least I know what the problem is. All the reconditioned fuser units
I can see online seem to be far more expensive than the printer; a pity
as the fuser itself was absolutely fine. Can these gears be changed (if
they can be sourced, that is?) The fuser unit looks very
un-dismantleable to me...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:31:22 +0000, Dave wrote:

I had a 5L and as you say, it would print forever.

He said 5, not 5L...radically different I am afraid.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:44:49 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Excellent, Bob, thanks - far better info than I could glean from all my
web-surfing! I duly popped out the fuser unit and sure enough, the
central large plastic gear wheel is in bits. :-(

So, not so excellent in that it's rather more serious than I thought but
at least I know what the problem is. All the reconditioned fuser units
I can see online seem to be far more expensive than the printer; a pity
as the fuser itself was absolutely fine. Can these gears be changed (if
they can be sourced, that is?) The fuser unit looks very
un-dismantleable to me...

Oh, it is dismantleable. I've replaced the lamp (inside the roller) on
more than one occasion.

I actually have 4[M][+] machines - but the 5 is the development of that
and very similar.

Gears are probably obtainable...or a s/h fuser with no guarantees would
probably have an intact gear.

I know the 4 and 4+ have different fusers, but I'll check...I may have an
old 4+ fuser with knackered roller...if the gear is the same, you're
welcome.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:32:00 -0800, JimK wrote:

My folks have a Laserjet 5P that will only print if fed single sheets
one at a time through the "other media" (sic) flap. I.e. if it takes
paper from the cassette underneath it will jam, but if fed manually
single sheets all is well, if infuriating!

Can't remember the 5P offhand but will take a look. I suspect taht'll be
the pickup roller. I've done that on the 4/4+/5 - a one minute job, and
on the 5L - a half hour job!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

[...]

Pretty sure that this won't help in your case, but I had lots of problems with paper jams on printers that were
solved by cleaning the picking rollers with double-sided adhesive tape
stuck to a sheet of paper in line with the rollers.

The roller tyres gets impregnated with paper dust and it makes them
slippy instead of grippy.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:44:49 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Excellent, Bob, thanks - far better info than I could glean from all my
web-surfing! I duly popped out the fuser unit and sure enough, the
central large plastic gear wheel is in bits. :-(

I think there are two gears...or is that on the other end?

Anyway, the 4+ and the 5 apparently use the same fuser (I just checked; I
knew the 4 used a different one to the 4+).

I'll have a look tomorrow (it's in an unlighted shed and it's raining
right now...)
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:44:49 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Excellent, Bob, thanks - far better info than I could glean from all my
web-surfing! I duly popped out the fuser unit and sure enough, the
central large plastic gear wheel is in bits. :-(

Of course, WHY is it in bits....the rollers may have jammed. As I recall,
my faulty fuser has knackered rollers, so you should be ablew to make one
good one out of the two.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:44:49 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Excellent, Bob, thanks - far better info than I could glean from all my
web-surfing! I duly popped out the fuser unit and sure enough, the
central large plastic gear wheel is in bits. :-(

Of course, WHY is it in bits....the rollers may have jammed. As I recall,
my faulty fuser has knackered rollers, so you should be ablew to make one
good one out of the two.

Well that would be *really* fab... :-)

Can't see how the fuser comes apart for the life of me: I can see a
small screw at either end in small copper plates, beneath 'warranty void
if removed' stickers, which looks promising, but nothing discernable
seems to happen when I unscrew them! It all looks very prone to damage
if bits are forced the wrong way.

Is it OK to touch the faces of the rollers or does that damage them?
Can't get any purchase anywhere otherwise to try moving them, to check
whether they are jammed...

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:44:49 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Excellent, Bob, thanks - far better info than I could glean from all my
web-surfing! I duly popped out the fuser unit and sure enough, the
central large plastic gear wheel is in bits. :-(

I think there are two gears...or is that on the other end?

Mine has three gears at one end; two small ones attached to the chassis
I think, with the large central one on the roller which can be seen
broken he http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2650/fuser.jpg

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:59:52 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Can't see how the fuser comes apart for the life of me: I can see a
small screw at either end in small copper plates, beneath 'warranty void
if removed' stickers, which looks promising, but nothing discernable
seems to happen when I unscrew them! It all looks very prone to damage
if bits are forced the wrong way.

That black plastic cover comes off. There are little slots and down
inside those you move a plastic tab with a flat bladed screwdriver. The
ones on the ends are relatively easy. There are slots along the long bit
and there are *two* tabs inside each of those - one just inside, and one
at the bottom of the slot, deep inside.

But leave that for now....if I find one and I send you all of it, I'll
take the cover off first so you can see.

Is it OK to touch the faces of the rollers or does that damage them?
Can't get any purchase anywhere otherwise to try moving them, to check
whether they are jammed...

Never bothered about that myself - it's not like the transfer roller at
the front of the machine. They're Teflon, I think.

Looks as if it's butchered the other gear a bit, too. I wonder if a tooth
broke off and was ingested between the two gears.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Exactly the same problem I had with my Epson C1000

It was cheaper to buy a new printer than the fuser unit (Can't afford
downtime in the winter)
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
I currently have an old LaserJet 5 printer - bought it off ebay for about
£35 delivered a few months ago and have been delighted with it (not least
of which because I can get original HP toner carts for it via

snip

My advice is stick with it and do the repair - these are excellent printers
and a real workhorse.

In fact I currently have a Laserjet 4+ ( surplus ) advertised locally at
£35 - I picked up 2 of LJ4+ and a LJ5 with 2 additional cut sheet bin
feeders for free a few months ago.
One I needed for my daughter who recently moved out. I gave one to a
neighbour who does a lot of mono printing - and put the other for sale only
today.

For years I have used a Laserjet 5 as my main printer. ( That's a 5 not a 5P
or 4P - different beasts ).
It has a duplex unit ( very worthwhile & difficult to find ) added, an
additional cut sheet bin feeder and an HP Jetdirect card to put it on my
network, plus an additional 16MB of memory.
Big printouts use only half the paper, are half the thickness and weight,
and cheap.

I recently bought an HP 92298X replacement toner cartridge for my main
printer for £10 on eBay - that is expected to do about 10,000 ( yes
thousand ) A4 page sides - you can't go wrong compared to an inkjet.
I have an inkjet too for photo printing.

JetDirect network cards are available on eBay, usually cheaply for this
model.

The 4+ printer I am selling has a page count of over 500,000 and performs
perfectly.

I have an IT job history so am familiar with the printers from years ago,
that's why I bought it.

Repair and keep it, don't think you'll regret it for mono printing.

They are the Volvo's of the printing world, they just keep going with the
odd hiccup now and again.
And, yes, I have a Volvo 240 too.

Somewhere, on one of my machines I have the repair manual and will send it
to YOU personally when I come across it.

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:25:05 +0000, geoff wrote:

Excellent, Bob, thanks - far better info than I could glean from all my
web-surfing! I duly popped out the fuser unit and sure enough, the
central large plastic gear wheel is in bits. :-(

So, not so excellent in that it's rather more serious than I thought but
at least I know what the problem is. All the reconditioned fuser units
I can see online seem to be far more expensive than the printer; a pity
as the fuser itself was absolutely fine. Can these gears be changed (if
they can be sourced, that is?) The fuser unit looks very
un-dismantleable to me...

Exactly the same problem I had with my Epson C1000

It was cheaper to buy a new printer than the fuser unit (Can't afford
downtime in the winter)

Never seen it happen before on one of these old HPs, though. Built, as
they say, like tanks.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:59:52 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Is it OK to touch the faces of the rollers or does that damage them?
Can't get any purchase anywhere otherwise to try moving them, to check
whether they are jammed...

Service manual now temporarily online at:

http://www.tavi.co.uk/lj4-5.pdf

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com writes

I currently have an old LaserJet 5 printer - bought it off ebay for
about £35 delivered a few months ago and have been delighted with it
(not least of which because I can get original HP toner carts for it via
the same route for a tenner - many thousands of sheets of paper later
and I'm still on the first cart - what's not to like?!)

Nothing at all. I love those old HPs, they just keep going.

Unfortunately it's just developed a paper jam error and I'm wondering if
any of the IT gurus here might be able to advise?

Not unusual. The paper feed rollers age and become hard, which causes
jams. The most common are failure to pick paper up and failure to eject
it (the exit rollers begin to turn slower than the fuser and the paper
"concertinas" and jams.)

It's gone straight
from never jamming at all, to doing so 100% of the time: the paper is
picked up OK but jams just before it enters the fuser assembly.

It never actually enters the fuser?

I've been trawling the net for solutions; best site appears to be
www.fixyourownprinter.com

It is a very good site and I can recommend them. I have a LJ4m at a
remote site which began jamming the paper on entry; fixed that with the
appropriate kit, then it started jamming on exit (grr) and the kit to
fix that is sitting by my foot as I type. It comes with (a not very
clear) video CD showing how to strip the printer and fit the new parts.
fixyourownprinter ships from the US but the parts arrived very quickly
in my case.

which (I think) seems to be suggesting paper
sensors; if that's the case I can't find them!

Hmm. It could just be that the paper is moving too slowly (because of
slipping rollers) and isn't reaching the fuser when the electronics
expect to see it. There is a paper sensor switch in the fuser. Has
anyone ripped the paper out of the printer? That's fatal to sensors.

I think in your case the first thing I would try is a kit of pickup/feed
rollers. Some of them are very easy to fit (e.g. pickup roller), but
unfortunately the feed roller is a swine to fit.

One last thing: try another cartridge first.

--
Mike Tomlinson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, JimK writes

My folks have a Laserjet 5P that will only print if fed single sheets
one at a time through the "other media" (sic) flap. I.e. if it takes
paper from the cassette underneath it will jam, but if fed manually
single sheets all is well, if infuriating!

Yes, you need the paper pickup maint kit. You might get away with just
the pickup roller, which is very easy to fit, but I'd suggest getting
the kit.

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster davidlobsterpot601@
hotmail.com writes

Excellent, Bob, thanks - far better info than I could glean from all my
web-surfing! I duly popped out the fuser unit and sure enough, the
central large plastic gear wheel is in bits. :-(

It's the heat from the fuser lamp that causes that.

So, not so excellent in that it's rather more serious than I thought but
at least I know what the problem is. All the reconditioned fuser units
I can see online seem to be far more expensive than the printer; a pity
as the fuser itself was absolutely fine. Can these gears be changed

Yes.

(if
they can be sourced, that is?) The fuser unit looks very
un-dismantleable to me...

It's not. Just take it slowly and steadily. One thing about these
printers is how intuitively they go back together.

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Nov, 10:40, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article
s.com, JimK writes

My folks have a Laserjet 5P that will only print if fed single sheets
one at a time through the "other media" (sic) flap. I.e. if it takes
paper from the cassette underneath it will jam, but if fed manually
single sheets all is well, if infuriating!

Yes, you need the paper pickup maint kit. You might get away with just
the pickup roller, which is very easy to fit, but I'd suggest getting
the kit.

--
Mike Tomlinson

hi mike, where can I get the above mentioned kit? do you have a link
please?

ta
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:39:19 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

It never actually enters the fuser?

That's right. Stripped gear - see later in the thread.

It is a very good site and I can recommend them. I have a LJ4m at a
remote site which began jamming the paper on entry; fixed that with the
appropriate kit, then it started jamming on exit (grr) and the kit to
fix that is sitting by my foot as I type. It comes with (a not very
clear) video CD showing how to strip the printer and fit the new parts.
fixyourownprinter ships from the US but the parts arrived very quickly
in my case.

I have some written instructions, that I wrote long ago. This is for the
two sets of exit rollers, right? Let me know if you want them.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, JimK writes

hi mike, where can I get the above mentioned kit? do you have a link
please?

Same site as mentioned earlier - fixyourownprinter.com

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes

I have some written instructions, that I wrote long ago. This is for the
two sets of exit rollers, right? Let me know if you want them.

Ooh, that would be really handy, thanks. (It might not be me that fits
the kit.) mike AT jasper DOT org DOT uk

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Nov, 10:59, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article
s.com, JimK writes

hi mike, where can I get the above mentioned kit? do you have a link
please?

Same site as mentioned earlier - fixyourownprinter.com

--
Mike Tomlinson

yeah I looked there but i only see 3 kits offered nearest is

Printer doesn't pick up paper from the drop-down manual feed tray.

but that is what the printer in question *does* do OK at the
minute.....

Any other sources/thoughts?

tia
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Nov, 22:28, wrote:
On 3 Nov,
JimK wrote:

My folks have a Laserjet 5P that will only print if fed single sheets
one at a time through the "other media" (sic) flap. I.e. if it takes
paper from the cassette underneath it will jam, but if fed manually
single sheets all is well, if infuriating!

My laserjet1100 (which I think is a descendrent of the LJ5) developed
simiular problems. It was temporarily cured by a heath robinson freeby they
issued, which stuck another paper feed separator pad (IIRC) over the old
hardened one. This one didn't last long, and I replaced it with one made from
a thin bicycle puncture repair patch. It has rarely misfed since.

It's worth bending the paper stack before inserting to reduce stiction
between the sheets.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

what does the paper feed seperator pad look like and where would i
expect to see it?

ta
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK, I have three good gears off this fuser. If you want the rest of it
(missing lamp, rollers a bit knackered) you're welcome.

I'll include details of how to get to them...! Email me at the spamcop
address, or at myfirstname (at) mylastname (dot) cx
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
OK, I have three good gears off this fuser. If you want the rest of it
(missing lamp, rollers a bit knackered) you're welcome.

I'll include details of how to get to them...! Email me at the spamcop
address, or at myfirstname (at) mylastname (dot) cx

Bob, that's fantastic - thanks so much. Email to spamcop address on the
way!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, JimK writes

hi mike, where can I get the above mentioned kit? do you have a link
please?

Jim, fixyourpownprinter don't seem to do a kit. You need part number
RB1-6332-000 which is shown he

http://www.printerworks.com/Catalogs...IntComp_1.html

it's part number 3 in the diagram,

101-3 RB1-6332-000 Pick-Up Roller, Tray 2 LJ 5P/6P

You should be able to easily source this in the UK. Try a bit of
googling.

Also try cleaning the paper separation pad as advised elsewhere (it's
usually a small flat piece of cork which is revealed when you take the
paper out of the tray).

Mike

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

101-3 RB1-6332-000 Pick-Up Roller, Tray 2 LJ 5P/6P

Thought he had a "proper" LJ5? The 5P was very different - much smaller.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Adrian
writes

Thanks for looking out. Jim said in his OP:

My folks have a Laserjet 5P that will only print if fed single sheets
one at a time through the "other media" (sic) flap. I.e. if it takes
paper from the cassette underneath it will jam, but if fed manually
single sheets all is well, if infuriating!

so I think I have the right printer.

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Thought he had a "proper" LJ5? The 5P was very different - much smaller.

Thanks for looking out. Jim said in his OP:

My folks have a Laserjet 5P

Ah. Missed that - I was going by the header...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:15:41 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Mike Tomlinson gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying:

Thought he had a "proper" LJ5? The 5P was very different - much
smaller.

Thanks for looking out. Jim said in his OP:

My folks have a Laserjet 5P

Ah. Missed that - I was going by the header...

Confusion is because Jim jumped into the thread asking about his 5P. The
OP was Lobster, who does indeed have a 5.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Ah. Missed that - I was going by the header...

Confusion is because Jim jumped into the thread asking about his 5P. The
OP was Lobster, who does indeed have a 5.

phew I'm not going mad.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mea culpa :)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

TheOldFellow wrote:

The roller tyres gets impregnated with paper dust and it makes them
slippy instead of grippy.

Bit of meths to clean the rubber - seems to work. Not sure if it reduces the
life of the rubber tho.

Still using an LJ5 that I bought in 95 or 96. Only replacement was a fuser
unit around 2000. i think that was because we were using rather rough
notepaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:51:11 -0800, JimK wrote:

On 4 Nov, 15:57, Adrian wrote:

mea culpa :)

No worry, just explaining. Anyway, replacement parts in the post on the
way to Lobster.