Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Old LaserJet 5 with paper jam

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 19:59:52 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Can't see how the fuser comes apart for the life of me: I can see a
small screw at either end in small copper plates, beneath 'warranty void
if removed' stickers, which looks promising, but nothing discernable
seems to happen when I unscrew them! It all looks very prone to damage
if bits are forced the wrong way.

That black plastic cover comes off. There are little slots and down
inside those you move a plastic tab with a flat bladed screwdriver. The
ones on the ends are relatively easy. There are slots along the long bit
and there are *two* tabs inside each of those - one just inside, and one
at the bottom of the slot, deep inside.

But leave that for now....if I find one and I send you all of it, I'll
take the cover off first so you can see.

Is it OK to touch the faces of the rollers or does that damage them?
Can't get any purchase anywhere otherwise to try moving them, to check
whether they are jammed...

Never bothered about that myself - it's not like the transfer roller at
the front of the machine. They're Teflon, I think.

Looks as if it's butchered the other gear a bit, too. I wonder if a tooth
broke off and was ingested between the two gears.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org