Mark Dailey

Default Plunge v Fixed Base Router

Basically, I will want to be able to do things that both types can do
and for now if I can get a plunge router to do what a fixed base can do
(even if it's not as easy) that's what I want. I'll be in an apartment
on a smaller budget for at least 2 more years so I'd rather have one
tool that can do both even if it limps along at fixed base stuff.

I've looked at combo kits, but I read somewhere that for heavy-duty work
like panel making one should get a router with at least 2.75 HP; I
haven't seen any combos that are that size - at least not Porter Cable.
I figure that once you get to the $250+ range they are all the same,
but I've got my mind set on a Porter Cable.

Actually for now I just want to be able to 'dress' the edges of shelves
and maybe do some moulding/trim work so all I would need for now is a
fixed base, but would rather get one tool if I can get away with it --
thinking ahead. The truth of the matter is that I will probably be able
to afford another really good router by the time I'm advanced enough to
do plunge stuff, but I'd rather have a 2-in-1 if I can.

Another question: I have one of those Black & Decker folding Workmates
- is it possible to rig a mount in it to hold a router?