Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeffy3 Jeffy3 is offline

Default Are Circuit Breakers Over-rated?

On Nov 3, 9:14*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 2, 9:48*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

When I had my 60 amp fused service upgraded to a 150 amp breaker panel
a bunch of years back, it required a new service cable from the bugs
at the top of the house through the meter and then to the panel. I
don't recall if it required new wires from the pole to the bugs.

I don't think it safe to "assume" that all the OP needs is a breaker
box and a screwdriver to upgrade to 200 amps.

Oh. Right. What I meant to imply was that he could put in a 200 Amp service
panel even if he is currently hooked-up with only 60 Amp service from the
power company.

You didn't imply it, you said it. *You said you can get everything at
a big box store (they're selling experience and code knowledge now?),
and it would only take an afternoon's work. *No caveats, no "check to
see", nothing except, "Hey, it ain't hard."

I think I saw your TV show, which one are you again...?http://www.youtube..com/watch?v=tNfGyIW7aHM

Let's do a little test. *Check out this thread on another forum and
tell me how many things to check and caveats you omitted in your "It
Ain't Hard" post.http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electri...e-service-pane...
Here's a hint: *all of them.

"Should" is not a caution, it is a weasel word, and in your case
indicating you don't know what you're talking about and shouldn't be
giving advice on the topic.

OP here. No, I will not try to do this myself. Installing light
fixtures and ceiling fans are the extent of what I will do
electrically.