Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Old LaserJet 5 with paper jam

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 18:44:49 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Excellent, Bob, thanks - far better info than I could glean from all my
web-surfing! I duly popped out the fuser unit and sure enough, the
central large plastic gear wheel is in bits. :-(

So, not so excellent in that it's rather more serious than I thought but
at least I know what the problem is. All the reconditioned fuser units
I can see online seem to be far more expensive than the printer; a pity
as the fuser itself was absolutely fine. Can these gears be changed (if
they can be sourced, that is?) The fuser unit looks very
un-dismantleable to me...

Oh, it is dismantleable. I've replaced the lamp (inside the roller) on
more than one occasion.

I actually have 4[M][+] machines - but the 5 is the development of that
and very similar.

Gears are probably obtainable...or a s/h fuser with no guarantees would
probably have an intact gear.

I know the 4 and 4+ have different fusers, but I'll check...I may have an
old 4+ fuser with knackered roller...if the gear is the same, you're
welcome.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org