David Hall

Default Is Usnet Dying?

Tim Douglass wrote in message . ..
On 24 Nov 2003 10:36:24 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Silvan asks:

A friend had a Kaypro. One of those "almost" compatibles, right?

No. cp/m was not intended as a compatible. It was there first, meant to become
the big dog on the block, and using it almost cost KayPro its shirt, which it
later lost anyway, IIRC.

That portable cp/m machine was a delight. And weigh 22 pounds. Keyboard snap
latched to the 7" screen/case/cpu. Green screen. IIRC, you also had a choice of
amber, but at extra cost. I went for green. The package, with a Juki ball head
printer, cost me almost $2400 (Colonial Computers, Salem).

Ah, yes. Shades of my Osborne 1. Still stored around here somewhere. I
wonder if the floppy disks will still read after 10 years or so.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

I remember the Osborne well. The first computer I ever used. Supercalc
( a CPM based forerunner to Lotus - Excel). Memory so small that a
simple depreciation schedule required 4 spreadsheets and macro
automation between them - got me a A in that Graduate Accounting
course though. It was a Portable - if portable meant breaking you arm
to lug it from one electric outlet to another.

Dave Hall