Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

wrote:
On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:08:11 -0600, dpb wrote:

Which specific Code section are we violating here? Manufacturers'
warranties, etc., sure, but I'm not sure Code covers modifications for
purpose.
I am
110.3(B)

If a function can't be achieved w/ off-the-shelf components then that's
saying complying w/ Code overrules accomplishing the task. That's an
over-application of the Code w/ the letter overruling the intent.

They sell 90db (the point at which hearing is damaged) smoke alarms
with a strobe light so you can't say there are no solutions available.
If you can't hear a 90db horn in your bedroom 100db probably won't
help much.

I argued against the "NEVER" under any circumstances not the specific.

Saying there are always solutions available is like the guy arguing that
the patent office should have been closed because everything had already
been invented.