Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

G. Morgan wrote:
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:45:43 +0000 (UTC), (David Combs)
wrote:

Dig into the thing, disconnect the alarm, and wire
on instead something really LOUD, LOW PITCHED, etc.

To me, that's a pretty good way to go.

It's also against code.

One should NEVER tamper with the insides of a life-safety device. Find the
right device for the right purpose.

Unless, of course, there doesn't appear to be a "right purpose" device
and the alteration improves the function for the specific purpose.

Which specific Code section are we violating here? Manufacturers'
warranties, etc., sure, but I'm not sure Code covers modifications for
purpose.