BeerBoy

Default Plunge v Fixed Base Router

I have a combo set and it is nice to have the plunge base when I need but 9
times out of 10 I use the fixed base.

"Bob G" wrote in message
t...

"Brian" wrote in message
I suppose it can, but to me a plunge router is not ideal often. It is

not
ideal in a table application. It is larger and more cumbersome (given

the
same size motor) for edge work on smaller pieces. In fact, I really

only
use a plunge base in cases where I'm truely benefitting by the plunge
action - i.e. when I need to route material "inside" a piece without
starting from the edge, such as when mortising since I don't have a
mortiser.

Just my preferences, FWIW.

Brian.

==========================
I share Brians opinions ...

If I had ONLY one router then I would have to own a Plunge...because when
you need that feature you DO NEED IT... but I rarely NEED the ability to
make a Plunge cut...

I have routers that are dedicated for table use (a couple of regular

tables,
an overhead Pin router table and a horizontal table...all these tables

have
routers that never leave them... And I have one router that sits next to

my
plunge router that I use for 90 percent of my hand held operations... The
Plunge router gets very little use..BUT like I said when I need that

feature
I can pull the plunge router off the shelf...

Bob Griffiths