Posted to alt.home.repair
David Combs David Combs is offline

Default Smoke detectors for the elderly

Somewhere towards the beginning of this thread I saw (but
cannot find it now) a post with the suggestion to:

Dig into the thing, disconnect the alarm, and wire
on instead something really LOUD, LOW PITCHED, etc.

To me, that's a pretty good way to go.

Measure the voltage when it's beeping (er, trying to
beep), then go buy a relay that works at that voltage,
hook up some HIGHER voltage or power source to the
other end of the relay that goes to eg some electric
version of a truck horn, or fire-engine siren (hell,
maybe an ordinary siren (a la Odysseus on his way back
from Troy, having himself tied to the ship's mast --
which if that doesn't get him "up", I don't know what will!),
something like that.

Or maybe hooked to an install-it-yourself burglar-alarm,
with horns distributed througout the house.

------

What *I*'d like to do is somehow get into my APC UPS --
you know, that big HEAVY battery-plus-electonics box
you plug into the wall, and then your computer into it.

There's NO WAY that I'm going to hear the beep-beep-beep-beeping
sound if I'm up or downstairs from it, and the circuit blows,
OR if I'm listening to music or whatever via earphones,
OR if I'm asleep or napping (with the bedroom door closed).

Thinking along as I write this thing, maybe that burglar-alarm
idea isn't so bad.

ESPECIALLY if it has TWO kinds of beeps, eg one for burglar,
and another for one of those around-the-neck "HELP -- I'm
in trouble (fell down the stairs, ...)", and use that 2nd
one for the UPS.

(I sure don't want to go rushing around the house finding
out which computer UPS it is when there's actually
an armed burglar loose in the house!)

Anyone have any ideas on HOW to do this, to get into the
UPS to wire something (eg a relay) in parallel to its beeper?

Thanks!

David