Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive George Clive George is offline

Default Bike lock (bike stolen)

"Dubber" wrote in message
After falling prey to some scum bag and suffering a loss of my much loved
bicycle, I've decided to do some research into locks.

The bicycle had a D lock with a round key which is aparantly crap, and a
chain lock with a padlock type lock connecting it. I left the bike 3/4
mins came back it was gone in a very busy place, I guess no one cares or
people with there busy lives just walk on by.

How heavy was the chain, and was the bike attached to anything?

The advice I'm after is what kind of lock(s) would be best for me ?

I've had a bit of a knock confidence wise even buying a new bike, but I
have and just wanting to make sure it doesn't happen again. Although I
know it can if the theif wants it they will get it, I just want to create
enought of a deterrent to make them think too much hassle.

After getting a bike nicked, the police recommended a fat chain to me. Which
is what I now have - stout chain + stout padlock.

However, probably worth trying this question on uk.rec.cycling or
uk.rec.cycling.moderated (I reckon the latter will be more likely to get you
sensible answers).