Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Oven not lighting up, need help.

On Oct 29, 1:10*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Oct 29, 12:55*pm, N8N wrote:

On Oct 29, 12:48*pm, Mikepier wrote:

*Hopfully someone here can shed some light on this. I have an Avanti
24" gas stove with electronic ignition. This oven, unlike most oven's
I've seen, *does not use a glow bar to ignite, but rather the same
type of intermittent ignition use for the cooktop. You have to turn on
the oven *knob, then push in to start the igniter. Once the gas is
lit, you let go and the gas stays lit. Well on my oven, the gas goes
out after you let go of the knob. If I hold the knob on for a good
10-15 seconds, then the oven stays lit. But after it reaches the
preset temperature, the oven goes out and stays out, it does not light
again when the temp falls below the T-stat setting. Which is another
thing *I don't know how that works, how does it re-ignite? Is there
suppose to be a pilot?
Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? The broiler has the
same problem. *I've asked repairclinic.com, but they do not sell parts
for Avanti, and Avanti's customer support is a joke. The rest of the
stove is fine. I'd like to fix this problem, I've fixed stoves in the
past, I just need to know what part I need.
Thanks

sounds like a flame sensor or thermocouple is not working. *Have you
at least managed to find a diagram or exploded drawing or parts list
for your stove?

nate- Hide quoted text -

There is a thermocouple in the oven, I can see it. Also I do have an
exploded parts list.
*I just read the manual online, and it does say hold the knob in for
10-15 seconds. Which is fine as the oven stays lit.
What I don't understand is after it reaches a preset temp and the
flame goes out, how does it know to re-ignite? That's what I want to
know, the operation of the oven. Obviously it can't re-igite by itself
beacuse you need to push the knob in, right? Thats why I thought maybe
there's suppose to be a pilot light somewhere.- Hide quoted text -

I dont think it is suppose to go all the way out until you turn it
off. There may be some kind of adjustment for this or the valve that
controls it is bad.

Jimmie