Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

geoff wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

I very rarely concentrate on my driving, its almost exclusively
handled in the subconscious, the same with e.g. skiing or other
occupations where automatic responses are better and faster than
conscious thought, even when driving at speeds over 100mph where
you wake up a bit

So you admit to having so many incidents that it has become a learnt
response.

No, you stupid ****

I used to, for example (when safe to do so), take a roundabout
sideways in a controlled skid when I was in my late teens, or lock
the wheels on ice to learn how to recover in a controlled manner -
just like a pilot learns to recover from a stall

In days gone by, I did the same and got my then finance to do the same
so she could experience the get out procedure.

A pilot learns that in a simulator where possible, that's what
simulators are for, learning how to crash not how to fly.

No, they definitely are not.

Having spent over 30 years in the fast jet industry, they are used to
train the pilots in the predicted behaviour of a development aircraft
and the software is up-dated after every development flight, to take
account of what the test pilot found out during his last flight.
Development flight test is a huge department covering aspects of
monitoring development flights. If you want details, I can post them

One pilot is assigned as chief test pilot for every project until other
test pilots can fly it, having learned on the simulator what can go wrong.

No - that's because they are cheaper than the real thing. There is no
substitute for real experience, however many blow up dolls you might
have dennis

This begs the question of why there are so few car driving simulators. I
think we could do with a lot more.

Because I pushed the limits, trained myself and learned to read the
road, these have all become second nature. I know I'm not alone,
people who push things a bit learn where the limits are and how to
react as second nature to events

You couldn't be more right here.

When I taught our daughter to drive, I would give her a running
commentary about what was going through my mind while I was driving.
Before she passed her test, I taught her to look over her right shoulder
before she pulled away. Much like a motorcyclist should before he sets
off, or pulls out of his lane. Her driving instructor was most impressed
with this.

One day, many years after she had passed her driving test, I was driving
her through Southsea in Portsmouth. There was a transit type van parked
on the right hand side of the road on a right hand bend, but the van was
on the pavement. I spotted a woman behind the van heading for the Zebra
crossing and stopped to let her cross. Daughter was amazed at that. But
that only comes from experience.

Dave