Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default So who's paying for this bit of ecobollox ... ?

geoff wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

I very rarely concentrate on my driving, its almost exclusively
handled in the subconscious, the same with e.g. skiing or other
occupations where automatic responses are better and faster than
conscious thought, even when driving at speeds over 100mph where
you wake up a bit

So you admit to having so many incidents that it has become a learnt
response.

No, you stupid ****

I used to, for example (when safe to do so), take a roundabout sideways
in a controlled skid when I was in my late teens, or lock the wheels
on ice to learn how to recover in a controlled manner - just like a
pilot learns to recover from a stall

A pilot learns that in a simulator where possible, that's what
simulators are for, learning how to crash not how to fly.

No - that's because they are cheaper than the real thing. There is no
substitute for real experience, however many blow up dolls you might have
dennis

No, they do NOT learn that in a simulator. Having been in a pilot 'driving
test' flight, they learn by doing it at safe altitude under supervision.
stall at 3500 ft, and recover in the correct and safe manner.

Same for one engine failing on takeoff..drop the prop back to feather and
pull the throttle, and make the testee fly it up to safe altitude after a
'touch and go'

Aeroplanes not toys.
The simulators cost more than some £25k Cessna so they do simple stuff in
them.
It won't teach you anything about what happens when the wings are nearly
torn off by wind shear or what happens with icing or when both engines fail.

I dunno where you get your facts from Dennnis, but its time you considered
using reality instead of firmly held belief to guide your opinions.

The bottom line is that you really can't make a useful comment since you
have no experience

That would seem to be the case, yes.

So, the ability to recover from such a situation becomes innate

Rubbish, you would have to take it so far that you crashed to learn the
limits.

Err why ?

No idea. Dennis isn;'t capable of rational argument.

I learnt skid control on snow in our road, at 10mph, on wet leaves on
country lanes at somewhat higher speed, and at Brands hatch in the pouring
rain in a go kart. Memorable experience on slicks,

Managed NOT to crash. BUT it took some doing.

Geoff said he learnt the limits, obviously neither you nor he did, to do so
would have required you the crash.
You just did what I used deserted car parks for, sliding about a bit.
Great fun but its also important to be able to not slide around at all.
It takes more skill to drive on snow and ice without sliding than to put the
tail out.
That's the difference between geoff and me and probably you, I don't put
other people in danger by doing it on the public roads.