Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Oven not lighting up, need help.

At the front middle of hte oven was a 3/4" hole where one held a match
after turning the burner on. Somehow the match flame was sucked down
the hole, and I mean that literally. This the really "green" way to
do it. No expensive igniter that has to be replaced periodically and
no gas wasted on a pilot light. Just one match to light the broiler
or oven. This was the primary purpose of "kitchen matches".

(The burner was above the broiler and below the oven as I think it is
now.)

I remember the same type (I think we had a Caloric) "sucking" the
flame off the match.

bob_v