Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Oven not lighting up, need help.

"mm" wrote in message
We had ovens like that too. I guess two such ovens in our first two
houses, plus again in NYC in the 70's and 80's. Rentals don't usually
come with the fanciest applieances.

At the front middle of hte oven was a 3/4" hole where one held a match
after turning the burner on. Somehow the match flame was sucked down
the hole, and I mean that literally. This the really "green" way to
do it. No expensive igniter that has to be replaced periodically and
no gas wasted on a pilot light. Just one match to light the broiler
or oven. This was the primary purpose of "kitchen matches".

(The burner was above the broiler and below the oven as I think it is
now.)

Yes, the old ones used the same burner and you had to get way down tot he
broiler. Now, a second burner is in the top of the oven for broiling. Less
bending and we actually use it at times, unlike the low ones.