Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default What's going on?

In article ,
TonyS wrote:

I just did what you suggested and sure enough, there is not a single spam. And
it seems fast enough. Thanks.
The thing is, my ISP used to provide the news and there was also no spam
in this
group. Then they outsourced to giganews and now there is all this spam.
However, there is a number of groups that are restricted to users of my ISP.
These are groups that are local and they have become quite important to me.
You can't get them with any other provider.

That means I have to work with 2 news providers now and that's only because
giganews doesn't filter properly. I have complained to my provider but nothing
has changed, yet.

You might want to consider running something like "leafnode". I use
it to pull a Giganews feed to my own system, once an hour. With a few
filtering rules (based on the news headers), almost all of the spam is
never fetched from Giganews to my system. It works really well for me.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO