Posted to sci.electronics.repair
propman[_6_] propman[_6_] is offline

Default Why So Much Spam Here?

GregS wrote:
In article , propman wrote:
Scrim wrote:
Wow! That's the longest thread I've ever started! Cheers!

I'm using Windows Mail to read Newsgroups. I think if I use its filter
it will filter my mail as well as newsgroups and I don't want to risk
missing any mail (I get so little spam mail I don't need it there).

So I'm guessing what I really need to do is use a dedicated newsreader
(terminology?) like that one from Mozilla. Then I can set up filtering
just in there and presumably it'll be a better newsgroup experience all
round compared to Windows Mail?

If by "like that one from Mozilla" you are refering to Thunderbird, it
is not a dedicated newsreader. Thunderbird also has provisions for
email, RSS and newsgroups accounts. See the following for further details:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

FWIW, there is also a new release coming out shortly; you can grab the
beta version of it (3.04b) from the following location:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-U...ses/downloads/

Again, FWIW, I've been using in on my linux system since it was released
and am quite please with it. One of the upgrades for this version is
improved filtering capabilities.

One other thing I might suggest is to switch your newsgroup account to
the following free access newsgroup server:

http://www.eternal-september.org/

I've been using them for a couple of years no and have no complaint with
their service. Their spam filtering works as I hardly see any spam and
the ones that do slip through is certainly not in magnitude that others
here have remarked they are seeing in this newsgroup.

You might also be interested in the following site for general
information on newsreaders, selecting news servers etc:

http://slyck.com/

Funny it does not expplain Usenet at all

Guides: VIDEO Usenet Newsgroups | Usenet Newsgroups |

and I don't use usenet to get
news.

AFAIK, if you are receiving this newsgroup (which is part of usenet),
then you are using Usenet. :-)

Might want to take a read of the following:

http://slyck.com/story1870_Usenet_or_the_Newsgroups

Also funny, many of the newsreaders have turned me off, and I
continue to use an outdated News Express, even though it has
bugs with current opperating systems. It also does not archieve
past read posts, nor have spell checking, or index all the groups corectly,
but I love it.

Heh! I hear ya.....just like old timers and Xnews....when they die they
are gonna have to pry it out their hands (figuratively speaking). ;-)