Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Turn thermostat down or leave steady?

On Oct 29, 7:13*pm, mm wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:05:16 -0700 (PDT), RickH

wrote:
On Oct 29, 10:36*am, "SteveB" wrote:
No, it takes too long to re-heat the boiler and all the water in the
pipes, radiators, and floor tubing. *It is always best to set it once
and leave it there all winter. *Too much energy is lost when all that
water is asked to re-heat all the surfaces again. *For example when I
feel the return manifold from the coils under my concrete slab after
the slab was allowed to cool, the return water is ice cold, all that
energy to reheat the slab. *No, bad asvice, best to keep it warm and
leave it there, saves tons of energy.

We use warm water here to shower. *I'd say that a higher % of people use
heat pumps or gas to heat rather than water. *In your case, MAYBE it is
cheaper to leave it on, but I think you are only quoting yourself, and no
analytic studies by any testing agency. *Can you find any said studies? *I
don't doubt that you believe what you say is true, I just think that it is
not.

Steve

Boiler installers never put daily "set back" thermostats on boilers,
only forced air systems get those, and they tell you to set the
thermostat once and leave it there.

Why did you assume the Mormon had a boiler?

The rules are completely different for radiant heated buidings vs air
heated buildings.

In an air heated building you heat the air, in a radiant heated
building you heat the building materials and that in turn heats the
people. *When you lose all that stored energy it costs a fortune to
recover it back in boiler usage.

It costs that same fortune and more to keep it hot without
interruption. *Maybe it's also unpleasant becuase it takes hours to
heat up, but that's another story.

There is nothing quite like the
warmth of a radiant-heated house.- Hide quoted text -

Hot water heat is very popular here.