Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Turn thermostat down or leave steady?

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:12:19 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

Heh.

Do you have any tips for properly instructing a user of a vehicle with
an automatic climate control system?

I drove my brother's car for two days last week and he has automatic
cc. It was 70 degrees out, and I opened the windows, but I still
wanted air from the blower vents. But afaik, I had no way to set the
air temp like I can do with my simple non-auto heater.

Is there a way to do that. He has a Lincoln.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 05:56:01 -0400, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Depends on how long you are gone.

So if you are gone a long time it's six, and if gone a short time,
it's half a dozen?

Leaving the thermostat at a steady temperature saves energy. On the

ARen't you thinking of gas mileage?

other hand, a lower difference between the inside wall and the outside
wall means lower heat loss. So lowering the thermostat does save energy
in the long run. Now, constantly raising and lowering the temperature
for short periods wastes energy. When you raise it you have to reheat
not only the heating system but the entire inside wall, floor and
ceiling not to mention all the furniture and appliances. When you lower
the thermostat, all those items lose all their heat again the heat is
drawn out into the room and the room loses it through the walls to the
outside. So....use your little noggin.

I will. All the extra things you mention, walls etc. are included
every step of the way. So it saves money to turn down the heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

mm wrote:
... But afaik, I had no way to set the
air temp like I can do with my simple non-auto heater.

Is there a way to do that. He has a Lincoln.

Specifically on FMCo products I don't know but GM/Chrysler have a pretty
simple/intuitive interface to set the desired temp w/ a manual/auto
override function...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:29:47 -0500, dpb wrote:

mm wrote:

I drove my brother's car for two days last week and he has automatic
cc. It was 70 degrees out, and I opened the windows, but I still
wanted air from the blower vents. But afaik, I had no way to set the
air temp like I can do with my simple non-auto heater....
... But afaik, I had no way to set the
air temp like I can do with my simple non-auto heater.

Is there a way to do that. He has a Lincoln.

I restored part of it to also email it to a friend of mine, who
complained about the same thing once.

Specifically on FMCo products I don't know but GM/Chrysler have a pretty
simple/intuitive interface to set the desired temp w/ a manual/auto
override function...

My friend who used to have a Cadillac, in the 80's I think, complained
about the same thing, but that was maybe 20 years ago. I'm glad to
hear there is way to override this on some cars. And a simple way too.
That's wonderful.

He advised me not to get auto, and it certainly seems to miss the
point when auto is great with the windows closed, but inferior to
manual with the windows open (or the top down in my case.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:22:13 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

It would be difficult to answer that question. It is more
complex than it might appear at first.

If you are talking about resistance electrical heat only, then
you would always save energy by turning it down. However most of use
heat with heat pumps, or gas, or oil, some may use ground water or
not. Even the effect on the power grid could be a factor.

In addition you need to consider the comfort and ease of use
your choices may change.

Like most all things in the energy world, the answer is
complex and not alwasy what appears correct.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 7:53*am, RickH wrote:
On Oct 29, 7:29*am, Frank wrote:

On Oct 29, 8:22*am, "Stormin Mormon"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes, you save energy turning it down. *In balance less heat is lost.

No, it takes too long to re-heat the boiler and all the water in the
pipes, radiators, and floor tubing. *It is always best to set it once
and leave it there all winter. *Too much energy is lost when all that
water is asked to re-heat all the surfaces again. *For example when I
feel the return manifold from the coils under my concrete slab after
the slab was allowed to cool, the return water is ice cold, all that
energy to reheat the slab. *No, bad advice, best to keep it warm and
leave it there, saves tons of energy.

Wrong answer! Check previous threads on this topic.

So by your reasoning if you turned down the heat to 50F & left it down
for a week....you wouldn't save any energy because you'd have "add
back all that heat"?

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 6:29*pm, "Walter R." wrote:
No surveys or studies needed to address this question. The Second Law of
Thermodynamics decrees that the speed and extent of all heat transfers in
the universe depends solely on the temperature differential between two
objects. The moment you turn down the thermostat you start saving money. The
longer you keep it down, the more money you save.

For further musings:http://www.rationality.net/entropy.htm

--
Walterwww.rationality.net

wrote:
Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Yes, you save energy turning it down. *In balance less heat is lost.

What happens when he comes home and turns it back up again? The
reverse, so where is the savings?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 7:13*pm, mm wrote:
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:05:16 -0700 (PDT), RickH

wrote:
On Oct 29, 10:36*am, "SteveB" wrote:
No, it takes too long to re-heat the boiler and all the water in the
pipes, radiators, and floor tubing. *It is always best to set it once
and leave it there all winter. *Too much energy is lost when all that
water is asked to re-heat all the surfaces again. *For example when I
feel the return manifold from the coils under my concrete slab after
the slab was allowed to cool, the return water is ice cold, all that
energy to reheat the slab. *No, bad asvice, best to keep it warm and
leave it there, saves tons of energy.

We use warm water here to shower. *I'd say that a higher % of people use
heat pumps or gas to heat rather than water. *In your case, MAYBE it is
cheaper to leave it on, but I think you are only quoting yourself, and no
analytic studies by any testing agency. *Can you find any said studies? *I
don't doubt that you believe what you say is true, I just think that it is
not.

Steve

Boiler installers never put daily "set back" thermostats on boilers,
only forced air systems get those, and they tell you to set the
thermostat once and leave it there.

Why did you assume the Mormon had a boiler?

The rules are completely different for radiant heated buidings vs air
heated buildings.

In an air heated building you heat the air, in a radiant heated
building you heat the building materials and that in turn heats the
people. *When you lose all that stored energy it costs a fortune to
recover it back in boiler usage.

It costs that same fortune and more to keep it hot without
interruption. *Maybe it's also unpleasant becuase it takes hours to
heat up, but that's another story.

There is nothing quite like the
warmth of a radiant-heated house.- Hide quoted text -

Hot water heat is very popular here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 11:05*am, RickH wrote:
[...]

recover it back in boiler usage. *There is nothing quite like the
warmth of a radiant-heated house.

So the laws of themodynamics are different from system to system?

Heat its lost to the environment based on the difference in
temperature between the heated space & the unheated space. As the
temperature of the heated space falls, the heat loss also fails. When
the temperature of the heated space falls to that of the unheated
space, heat loss stops.

I believe you are confusing the "time" it takes to recover with "huge
amounts of energy are required to re-heat everything".

If you were correct in your thinking (& oyu are not) the whole concept
of temperature setback would not work (& it does).

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 2:56*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

wrong...too much work to convince / educate you

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In most applications it saves energy to turn it down. *However if you
have a heat pump, and to get the house warmed up again it goes to
emergency heat, then it can cost more. *If you can turn off the
emergency heat and wait a long time for the heat pump to catch up, then
you will save energy. *The worst case is electric emergency heat, gas
emergency heat may or may not save money depending on the price and
efficiency of the furnace. *

The above is the CORRECT answer... congratulations!!

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark wrote:

In most applications it saves energy to turn it down. However if you
have a heat pump, and to get the house warmed up again it goes to
emergency heat, then it can cost more. If you can turn off the
emergency heat and wait a long time for the heat pump to catch up, then
you will save energy. The worst case is electric emergency heat, gas
emergency heat may or may not save money depending on the price and
efficiency of the furnace.

The above is the CORRECT answer... congratulations!!

Mark

Hi,
Many programmable thermostats are intelligent. It learns when to start
to bring up the temp. to normal setting ahead of time. So by the time
people come back home/ofice after et back period it's at proper temp.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Wow,
Where are you coming from? The lower the setting the longer the
setting. You save energy. I am talking about how much saving. Just
it saves. Our 'stat is set to 17C from midnight. Back up to 20C at 7 in
the morning. It does make a difference. Now our NG price is 3.80 per
GigaJoule. Electricity is 7 cents/KWh

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:51:43 -0700 (PDT), DD_BobK
wrote:

So the laws of themodynamics are different from system to system?

Heat its lost to the environment based on the difference in
temperature between the heated space & the unheated space. As the
temperature of the heated space falls, the heat loss also fails. When
the temperature of the heated space falls to that of the unheated
space, heat loss stops.

I believe you are confusing the "time" it takes to recover with "huge
amounts of energy are required to re-heat everything".

If you were correct in your thinking (& oyu are not) the whole concept
of temperature setback would not work (& it does).

cheers
Bob

I think part of this is because we tend to think of the heat needed to
heat something from the outside temp to what we want inside. But
what the furnace does most of the time is just replace heat that is
lost to the outside. And still it runs a lot.

So it runs even more when it has gotten colder than normal inside,
because it was on setback. But it has run not at all perhaps or much
much less the entire time people were out and the thermostat was set
back.

Looked at another way, the furnace is usually just raising the temp
one or two degrees, from the temp at which it turns on, 67^? to where
it turns off, 69^?, and still it runs a lot when we are home

Posted to alt.home.repair

RickH wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I hope that you were just kidding because obviously you are wrong! Just
think for a minute.....if you were going to be gone for three months
don't you think you would save energy if you turned your thermostat
down? Well, the same would be true for a few hours, just not to the same
extent.- Hide quoted text -

Yes, if I turned it down and left it there for a week or longer maybe.

But downturning for any period under a couple days and all the mass
you've spent heating once, now you have to re-heat over again. (my
system has several thousand feet of water tubing under both house
floor and garage slab zoned).

It might be different if you have forced air heat, but for water heat
(via radiators or radiant tube) every installer tells you "set it once
and forget it, the idea is to store heat".

Then tell me exactly what that magic length of time is. Is is 3.2 hours,
12 hours, 23.5 hours, or some other time? I did build one new home
with zoned hot water heat and it was great heat but we still turned all
three thermostats down when we left to save energy and it definitely did.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hcc1f8
:

Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

How did I know this post would have a large amount of replies just by the
subject before even expanding it? And know the replies would range from Yes
to No with everything in between?

Luck I guess :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Nope. If you lower the thermostat, gone for an hour, takes an hour to
cool off the house, then come home and turn it back up it takes twice as
much energy to heat up the house and all the contents than if you had
left it alone. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Now if you go to Florida for 3 months and turn it down to 50 degrees,
yes you save a bunch.

Hmmm,
What kinda dummy is set the 'stat back when going for an hour.
We're talking about typical situation, all day or all night set back.
Be reasonable. Dig out a research test result done by such as Honeywell
and utility outfits. Saving energy is proven thing no matter what.
Also no matter what, insulating house well is pre-requisite for things
like programmable 'stat. Your argument does not have legs to stand on.
Forget it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:
Van Chocstraw wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

I like my house 80 degrees all the time. I burn pellets and wood.
Screw saving energy. I'm not gonna pay for fuel and freeze my ****ing
ass off.

Hmm,
So you are a polluter. Where I live wood burning is no, no. Fire places
are all NG burning. Even my cabin in the woods have NG FP.
One who lives in past century! 80 degrees? You must have some kind of
medical condition. Or are running around naked in the house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Yes, you save energy turning it down. *In balance less heat is lost.

What happens when he comes home and turns it back up again? *The
reverse, so where is the savings?

RickH-

Looks like there is very little hope for you understanding the thermo
of setback....

Walter made a very simple / concise statement of the value of setback
but you still choose to disbelieve it.

The energy saved is the amount of energy used to maintain the house
at the setback subtracted from the energy that would had been expended
to maintain the house at the higher temp.

outside temp 50F inside temp 70F (without setback)

outside temp 50F inside temp 60F (with setback)

house at setback temp loses ~1/2 the heat that the house at "normal"
temp

cheers
Bob

now if we could just get people to not top post

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Yes, you save energy turning it down. In balance less heat is lost.

What happens when he comes home and turns it back up again? The
reverse, so where is the savings?

Hmm,
Talking about manually doing it? No, doing it with intelligent
programmable 'stat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is veering away from the original question a little, but -- This
time of year, and also in spring, we have days where it will be in the
40's in the morning and 80's in the afternoon. I know lot of people who
turn the heat up to 70 or more in the morning, then by early afternoon
they have the a/c on. If they would just leave it off and tolerate being
a couple of degrees cooler for an hour or so in the morning, the house
would warm up on its own and be comfortable for most of the day, and
just before it might get a degree or so too warm, the sun will go down
and it gets comfortable again. They will then have used ZERO energy
where the others have used both heat and a/c. No replies to
the question about wives turning the stat all the way up/down so the
heat/a/c runs faster. I doubt there are 1% who DON'T think that. My ex
certainly did, and it was a total waste of time trying to explain it to
her. Unfortunately, women don't have a monopoly on that kind of
thinking-- I know a lot of guys who think the same thing. Larry