Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Turn thermostat down or leave steady?

On Oct 29, 7:53*am, RickH wrote:
On Oct 29, 7:29*am, Frank wrote:

On Oct 29, 8:22*am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes, you save energy turning it down. *In balance less heat is lost.

No, it takes too long to re-heat the boiler and all the water in the
pipes, radiators, and floor tubing. *It is always best to set it once
and leave it there all winter. *Too much energy is lost when all that
water is asked to re-heat all the surfaces again. *For example when I
feel the return manifold from the coils under my concrete slab after
the slab was allowed to cool, the return water is ice cold, all that
energy to reheat the slab. *No, bad advice, best to keep it warm and
leave it there, saves tons of energy.

Wrong answer! Check previous threads on this topic.

So by your reasoning if you turned down the heat to 50F & left it down
for a week....you wouldn't save any energy because you'd have "add
back all that heat"?

cheers
Bob