Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default Turn thermostat down or leave steady?

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:22:13 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

It would be difficult to answer that question. It is more
complex than it might appear at first.

If you are talking about resistance electrical heat only, then
you would always save energy by turning it down. However most of use
heat with heat pumps, or gas, or oil, some may use ground water or
not. Even the effect on the power grid could be a factor.

In addition you need to consider the comfort and ease of use
your choices may change.

Like most all things in the energy world, the answer is
complex and not alwasy what appears correct.