Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Turn thermostat down or leave steady?

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 05:56:01 -0400, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please forgive me while I troll for a moment.....

Is it energy saving to turn the thermostat down, when
leaving the house? I mean, the furnace has to run to catch
up when I get home. I have a way of looking at the matter.
I'll explain my point of view after the argument is
underway.

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Depends on how long you are gone.

So if you are gone a long time it's six, and if gone a short time,
it's half a dozen?

Leaving the thermostat at a steady temperature saves energy. On the

ARen't you thinking of gas mileage?

other hand, a lower difference between the inside wall and the outside
wall means lower heat loss. So lowering the thermostat does save energy
in the long run. Now, constantly raising and lowering the temperature
for short periods wastes energy. When you raise it you have to reheat
not only the heating system but the entire inside wall, floor and
ceiling not to mention all the furniture and appliances. When you lower
the thermostat, all those items lose all their heat again the heat is
drawn out into the room and the room loses it through the walls to the
outside. So....use your little noggin.

I will. All the extra things you mention, walls etc. are included
every step of the way. So it saves money to turn down the heat.