Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Oven not lighting up, need help.

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:10:53 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier
wrote:

On Oct 29, 12:55*pm, N8N wrote:
On Oct 29, 12:48*pm, Mikepier wrote:

*Hopfully someone here can shed some light on this. I have an Avanti
24" gas stove with electronic ignition. This oven, unlike most oven's
I've seen, *does not use a glow bar to ignite, but rather the same
type of intermittent ignition use for the cooktop. You have to turn on
the oven *knob, then push in to start the igniter. Once the gas is
lit, you let go and the gas stays lit. Well on my oven, the gas goes
out after you let go of the knob. If I hold the knob on for a good
10-15 seconds, then the oven stays lit. But after it reaches the
preset temperature, the oven goes out and stays out, it does not light
again when the temp falls below the T-stat setting. Which is another
thing *I don't know how that works, how does it re-ignite? Is there
suppose to be a pilot?
Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? The broiler has the
same problem. *I've asked repairclinic.com, but they do not sell parts
for Avanti, and Avanti's customer support is a joke. The rest of the
stove is fine. I'd like to fix this problem, I've fixed stoves in the
past, I just need to know what part I need.
Thanks

sounds like a flame sensor or thermocouple is not working. *Have you
at least managed to find a diagram or exploded drawing or parts list
for your stove?

nate- Hide quoted text -

There is a thermocouple in the oven, I can see it. Also I do have an
exploded parts list.
I just read the manual online, and it does say hold the knob in for
10-15 seconds. Which is fine as the oven stays lit.
What I don't understand is after it reaches a preset temp and the
flame goes out, how does it know to re-ignite? That's what I want to
know, the operation of the oven. Obviously it can't re-igite by itself
beacuse you need to push the knob in, right?

No, I think you're wrong.

When the thermocouple is cold, you have to hold in the knob until it
heats up enough to keep the gas on. What temp would that be? Well,
lower than any of the temps on the oven control. I think on my
electric oven the lowest temp I can set it for is maybe 200 degrees.
So maybe 190 degrees. But actually, 15 seconds isn't enough to get
that hot. I think it only has to get so hot that it couldn't be the
weather, so it can't go on without someone turning it on. Maybe in
some places it gets to be 120 or 130 in the summer, so anything above
140 might be what they use. Or 150, they have to allow leeway if the
part changes and opens at a lower than intended temp.

So when the oven is at 325 and it turns off, if the flame is supposed
to go on again when the oven drops to 315**, that should be hot enough
that the gas is is still available.

**I just picked that out of the air.

Try setting the oven higher than you have been, like for 425. Just
becasue I'm curious. Surely after it reaches that temperature and goes
a little higher, and then turns off, it would turn on again at 410,
415, 420, and since it ran at the lower temp, 325, plainly the
thermocouple keeps the gas on at 325. How much more so at 410 plus!

So, and bear in mind I have an electric stove (my house has no gas),
it seems to me it's what ever controls the valve that is bad. Is the
thermocouple and valve one piece?

Thats why I thought maybe
there's suppose to be a pilot light somewhere.

The other possiblity is that the buzzer is bad. In this method, the
flame goes out and then later when it's time to restart the flame, a
buzzer goes off and you are supposed to hear the buzzer and come in
from the other room and hold the knob in for 15 seconds. So you need
a new buzzer to let you know every time you're supposed to do this.