Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

Default Why So Much Spam Here?

In article , Rich Webb wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:04:01 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:45:00 +0000, Ron
wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:28:02 -0000, "Scrim"
wrote:

This groups is so badly spammed I'm starting to give up on it. Why does
sci.electronics repair get so much and can this be fixed?

Scrim

I guess Virgin doesn't filter it out for you so you'll have to do it
yourself.

Just get a decent newsreader, I use Thunderbird. Set filters to junk all
messages from the following

- in fact any .cn

and all @.gmail
(You might miss a few genuine posts by blocking gmail, but it`a small
price to pay. Anyone serious tends to not use gmail/hotmail/yahoo etc.)
You can check the filter logs from time to time and any posters you
inadvertently filtered out, you can add back in individually.

When ever you get spam, add the address to the list.

Ron

I use Agent, but I don't filter anything. All the groups I subscribe
to get occassional spam, but this group gets 10 times more. Why would
it be different than the rest?

Spammers can check GoogleGroups for groups with high activity in
particular areas. Go to groups.google.com and start with "explore
groups." Google does a nice job of sorting groups by activity (days
since last post), messages per month, and number of users as well as
sorting by topic, language, etc. So, I'd guess that there may be some
set of characteristics of s.e.r that attract them.

I highly disagree
I have found high spam in little used groups.
Spammers also try to stay away from groups whose users give out
a lot of trash and spam back to the originators. They don't like
spam either.

I'm not talking about Google.

To tell the truth, I think 4th parties do the spamming and the company,
usually ONE company, the one in China, has little knowledge of anything.

greg