Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Why So Much Spam Here?

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 11:48:30 -0400, Rich Webb
wrote:

Spammers can check GoogleGroups for groups with high activity in
particular areas. Go to groups.google.com and start with "explore
groups." Google does a nice job of sorting groups by activity (days
since last post), messages per month, and number of users as well as
sorting by topic, language, etc. So, I'd guess that there may be some
set of characteristics of s.e.r that attract them.

Yep. They also check to see how many people actually click on the
inevitable URL included in the spam message. It's a tiny percentage
of the users, but that's where they allegedly make their money. The
more clicks, the more spam. (Feed the pigeons and what do you get?
More pigeons).

Looks like VirginMedia outsources their usenet news to Giganews. I'm
also using Giganews. After some minor keyword filtering, I get about
10 spam messages in this newsgroup per day. No big deal. In Agent, I
just hit the del key and they're gone. If they're repetitive, I
just add it to the built in spam filter.

However, if you REALLY want to get rid of the spam, just hire a hitman
and make a few spammers really disappear. If they're that bad a
problem, it should be worth the money. Take up a collection. Then
start at the top of this list:
http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/index.lasso
Note that the majority are in the USA. Start at the top and work your
way down. Eliminate a few of the top spammers and I'm sure the others
will get the clue.

I'm not sure, but I don't think we are allowed to do that sort of thing
over here.

Ron
I watched The Sopranos once, I was very disappointed, hardly any singing
at all!