Howard Ruttan

Default Is Usnet Dying?

"Tom Watson" wrote ...
I read someone's comment the other day about how their ISP claimed
that "no one uses newsgroups anymore." snip for brevity

I wouldn't be surprised if the recent growth in number and type of these PHP
MySQL based forum web sites (like sawmillcreek.org) and other forums like
woodcentral.com began stealing people away from USENET. Younger people seem
to prefer them. The tech types that run them like to play with pretty
colors and emoticons so they are a lot flashier and, being web based, may be
easier to find for the computer challenged. I don't think they will kill
off USENET but the ISP's will continue to ignore it and save $$$, favoring
the forums because they don't have to worry about monitoring abuse and troll
activity - the web site owner will have to do that. Simplifies their job
and saves money.

--

Cheers,
Howard