BigWallop

Default Magentic Sensors on uPVC Windows

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , BigWallop
writes

Can I ask, why do you need contacts on the windows ? Aren't the rooms
covered by PIR's ? Are you hoping someone will try to open the window
rather than cut out the glass double glazing unit, which is the most

likely
to happen ?

I just can't get my head around having reed switches on windows. Shock
inertia sensors yes, or even glass break detectors in the room, but

magnetic
contacts ? No, don't get that one at all.

Can't imagine anyone bothering to cut through 2 sheets of glass to get in,
did you mean remove the DG unit by forcing the frame? In spite of the

'high
security' claims of multi point locked plastic windows, I can't see them
lasting 2mins to a jemmied/screwdrivered attack, then a contact would be
useful.

Can you tell us a bit about what you've seen in the wild? I imagine you

get
a lot of domestic work after they've had their first burglary, so what's

the
favoured method of entry (after the open window of course ;-).
--
fred

Well, the most favoured attacks by the vocational drug crazed bandits are
forced entry by grabbing the person as they leave or enter the house and
beating them until they find out where all the most valuable items are in
the house. But I don't want to frighten you to much about the rising the
statistics of this type of attack. Car jacking is also done this way.

The next method is the prizing off of the outer leaf of the window frame in
modern double glazing units. Most aluminium is soft enough to break at the
corner welds and uPVC is soft enough to just break away or bend out. Then
the whole glass unit is lifted out and they have a huge opening to get
things in and out of the house. This method is not restricted to ground
floor windows either.

Another method is the screwdriver in the side of the lock on the new doors.
The large screwdriver is punched through the door skin and the lock is then
wrenched out allowing them to pull the locking system away from the side
catches and opening the door.

But the best favoured by most would be bandits is still the opportunity of
open windows and doors, and this is neither restricted by the occupant being
away or in attendance. It is only the more professional thief that goes for
the quieter area to make the full break in attempts.

I have to admit that the perimeter sensors are becoming an obsolete item in
the alarm systems of today. The best method of protection is the PIR in the
room itself. The final entry / exit point can be a PIR instead of a reed
switch if you wish, so you don't need to be set on contacts to begin the
entry time down on the system.

It is still a fact that the everyday burglar will think twice about
attacking a property which they believe is connected directly to a response
service, because they don't really want to get caught or even draw attention
to themselves if possible. The professional thief will only target a simple
get in and grab situation and they don't really want to hang around to see
if the police will give them a car chase around town like you see on the
television.

We have three EX burglars working on our team, and you wouldn't know they
were ever capable of carrying out this type of crime because of their
demeanour today. They are fantastic at showing people how simple it is to
by-pass things which the customer thinks is impossible to do disarm. They
are an invaluable part of the team in the training of other engineers who
know only how to fit the equipment and not exactly how or where it should be
placed to give the best possible protection. But these guys can show you
how not to do it, which is much better at just guessing.