Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

On Oct 27, 8:36*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:27:24 -0700 (PDT), in alt.home.repair,

wrote:
That was precisely my point. * That to support a 400 amp 120V load,
the load must be perfectly balanced. * And that is because only a max
of 200 amps is flowing in the service cable and the 400 amp, 120V load
must appear as two 200 amp, 120V loads in SERIES.

Two 200A 120V loads in series makes a 200A 240V load.

It's a very basic and simple electrical question as to how many amps
are flowing in that 200 amp service cable and it's 200 amps. * You
could support all kinds of loads of varying voltages off it, including
400 amps at 120V, provided the load is perfectly balanced. *I could

The only way you can get 400A out of a 200A service is with a step-down
transformer.

wrote:
That was precisely my point. * That to support a 400 amp 120V load,
the load must be perfectly balanced. * And that is because only a max
of 200 amps is flowing in the service cable and the 400 amp, 120V load
must appear as two 200 amp, 120V loads in SERIES.

Two 200A 120V loads in series makes a 200A 240V load.

It's a very basic and simple electrical question as to how many amps
are flowing in that 200 amp service cable and it's 200 amps. * You
could support all kinds of loads of varying voltages off it, including
400 amps at 120V, provided the load is perfectly balanced. *I could

The only way you can get 400A out of a 200A service is with a step-down
transformer.

I think we are in agreement, except for perhaps one point.

From your previous post, you clearly agree that you can in fact have
two 120volt, 200 amp loads connected in series across the 240volt
service. That is a perfectly balanced load. You now have 200 amps
flowing in series through each load. In my world that is in fact
"supporting" 400 amps of 120volt load. Lets say I had forty 10 amp,
120volt heaters. I could could clearly put twenty of them between one
leg and neutral and twenty between the other leg and neutral and it
would work. You now have a fully loaded balanced service. There
is zero current flowing in the neutral and 200 amps flowing in the
service. It works because the loads on one side are connected in
series to the loads on the other side.

My whole point all along has been that the actual current in a 200
amps service is limited to 200 amps which clearly you agee with.
And it has nothing to do with "parallel circuits", or power, voltage
or anything else. It looks like the only difference we have is your
definition of "supporting loads" may be stricter than mine.

And I think all of us are still waiting for a simple answer from Doug
as to how many amps are actually flowing in a fully loaded 200 amp
service cable circuit. I've asked that several times now and still
have no answer, despite having fully answered all his questions.

--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in