Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bookcase color

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:43:49 -0500, sam wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:09:50 -0500, sam wrote:

I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick red on the inside and
forest green on the outside. I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks
great, but what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't look like
a Christmas decoration?

Whatever colors you choose, don't use latex paint. It never completely
hardens, and the darker the colors the worse the problem. If you set a
heavy load (like a book) on a latex painted surface and leave it there it
will eventually stick to the surface.

I'd suggest milk paint with possible oil or shellac overcoat.

Thanks for all the good information.

Milk paints sound very promising.

I painted my bookcases interiors with a very dark latex and a primer
underneath. I allowed the bookcases to completely cure for 2-3
months before waxing, buffing and loading up with books. It has had
use for 15 years and never had any stickyness or damage and still
looks good.