Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bookcase color

I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick
red on the inside and forest green on the outside.
I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks great, but
what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't
look like a Christmas decoration?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.woodworking

sam wrote in news:MPG.254edd083b39f29e9899d7
@news.supernews.com:

I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick
red on the inside and forest green on the outside.
I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks great, but
what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't
look like a Christmas decoration?

Thanks,

It's up to you, so head out to the pain departement and start looking.
(No, that's not a typo.)

I'd suggest something along the lines of brick red and ivy green, like
what Wrigley Field has.

Puckdropper
rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
sam wrote in news:MPG.254edd083b39f29e9899d7
@news.supernews.com:

I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick
red on the inside and forest green on the outside.
I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks great, but
what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't
look like a Christmas decoration?

(snip)

I would go to http://benjaminmoore.com/ or another paint vendor website and
play with the color wheels. They usually have photos that you can change
the color of and see how different colors will look next to each other.
They probably will not have a bookcase but a wall and a ceiling should let
you take a look

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sam" wrote in message
I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick
red on the inside and forest green on the outside.
I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks great, but
what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't
look like a Christmas decoration?

Thanks,

Scroll about half way down to the Milk Paints and see the color choices.
Typically you can use as a regular paint and IIRC you end up with a "FLAT"
finish. If you wat a bit more sheen and more protection add a layer or two
of varnish on top. Typically these milk paints can be applied like regular
paint and some allow you to wipe away excess for a stained look.

I have found them very easy to apply with a brush.

http://generalfinishes.com/finishes/...e_finishes.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:09:50 -0500, sam wrote:

I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick red on the inside and
forest green on the outside. I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks
great, but what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't look like
a Christmas decoration?

Whatever colors you choose, don't use latex paint. It never completely
hardens, and the darker the colors the worse the problem. If you set a
heavy load (like a book) on a latex painted surface and leave it there it
will eventually stick to the surface.

I'd suggest milk paint with possible oil or shellac overcoat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would create a "very" small version made from MDF
and try my colors on that prior to the final version.

All you need is a side and a shelf cobbled together
to get some idea of the appearance.

Colors are too varied to even guess what you might
perceive as pretty.

sam wrote:
I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick
red on the inside and forest green on the outside.
I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks great, but
what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't
look like a Christmas decoration?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.woodworking

sam wrote:
I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick
red on the inside and forest green on the outside.
I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks great, but
what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't
look like a Christmas decoration?

Thanks,

As noted in a different post, I am also building a couple of bookcases. I
never thought about the latex paint issue, thanks Larry B. I have never
used milk paint before. Could those of you have please give me an idea of
the cure time. Basically the time I need to wait after I paint them until I
drop the cases off at the local school. The cases will be painted in my
cellar. An average of 65 degrees. Not that humid now that summer is over.

Thanks

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry C" wrote:

As noted in a different post, I am also building a couple of
bookcases. I never thought about the latex paint issue, thanks
Larry B. I have never used milk paint before. Could those of you
have please give me an idea of the cure time. Basically the time I
need to wait after I paint them until I drop the cases off at the
local school. The cases will be painted in my cellar. An average
of 65 degrees. Not that humid now that summer is over.

If you can get it in your area, take a look at oil based "Porch and
Floor Enamel".

In addition to wearing well, probably have the colors you are looking
for.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 00:43:49 -0500, sam wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 23:09:50 -0500, sam wrote:

I want to try to paint a couple of bookcases brick red on the inside and
forest green on the outside. I've seen it done elsewhere and it looks
great, but what *exact* colors should I ask for so it doesn't look like
a Christmas decoration?

Whatever colors you choose, don't use latex paint. It never completely
hardens, and the darker the colors the worse the problem. If you set a
heavy load (like a book) on a latex painted surface and leave it there it
will eventually stick to the surface.

I'd suggest milk paint with possible oil or shellac overcoat.

Thanks for all the good information.

Milk paints sound very promising.

I painted my bookcases interiors with a very dark latex and a primer
underneath. I allowed the bookcases to completely cure for 2-3
months before waxing, buffing and loading up with books. It has had
use for 15 years and never had any stickyness or damage and still
looks good.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:09:23 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

I painted my bookcases interiors with a very dark latex and a primer
underneath. I allowed the bookcases to completely cure for 2-3 months
before waxing, buffing and loading up with books. It has had use for
15 years and never had any stickyness or damage and still looks good.

The keyword you need to look for is "non-blocking". If it's
"non-blocking" then it's not sticky to books and the like. Some latex
is non-blocking, some isn't.

Thanks - I knew I forgot something. But IIRC it is true that darker
colors are less likely to be non-blocking.

I don't remember ever seeing a latex can that said non-blocking on it,
but its been a few years since I used latex. I'll read some cans next
time I'm in an appropriate store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

We built 33 bookcases for this house to add to the ones we brought and
painted the new ones all black. They are simple in design, but strong
and the almost not there look improves the display of thousands of books.

Martin