Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

Small correction to my previous post, where I left out a couple of
zeros in the text.... Here'e the corrected version.

Here's a circuit diagram of a fully loaded, balanced 200 amp service:

-------------- 240 volt source-----------
I I
a I I b
I I
I------------------2.4 ohmRes-----------I
I I
I-----1.2 ohmR-----1.2 ohmR--------I

How much current is flowing in the "service", which is through the
voltage source? 200 amps. It supporting one 240Volt 100 amp load
and two 120volt 100 amp loads. By every circuit concept I've ever
heard of there is but 200 amps flowing in the service cable here.
Yet,
some would have you believe it 300 amps.

If we want to include the neutral then it looks like this:

+ -- + --
I------------120V----I-------120V---------
I I I
I I I
I I I
I-----1.2ohms------I--------1.2ohms---I
I I

The service now consists of 3 wires. In this case, because it's
balanced no current is flowing in the neutral. You can unbalance it,
do anything you like and still with a 200 amp service there is only
200 amps flowing in, 200 amps flowing out. And it;s not a "parallel "
circuit either as Doug has claimed.