Brian Henderson

Default Is Usnet Dying?

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 01:19:47 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

I hate web forums. For one thing, you have to either type in an editor and
then copy/paste onto the form, or else use the crappy editor built into the
form. That's probably my #1 reason for hating all such things web-based.

I don't mind some web forums, I am active in a couple, but for the
most part, web forums are very slow moving and you're right, some have
very heavy handed moderation. I've dropped out of at least one major
forum because the moderators simply started ending threads and
deleting posts they didn't personally agree with.

Personally, I hate moderation. I wouldn't live in a gated community, or one
where there was a homeowner's association either. One of my neighbors lets
his grass grow so high he has to bush hog it every second year, but so the
hell what? I don't get to tell him to mow it, and he doesn't get to tell
me what color I can paint my shed, or how large my mailbox is allowed to
be. Suits me just fine.

When we were looking at houses, the #1 requirement was no HOAs. I
don't want anyone telling me what to do with my house, I don't want
them telling me what I can and can't post either, within reason. I
think you have to have some kind of moderation or means of
self-moderating the forum, just to deal with the spam and trolls. I'd
personally rather do it myself, but so long as actual on-topic content
isn't disturbed, I'm content with almost anything.