Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Attached garage firewall - how to seal?

"Bubba Bubbs" wrote in message
1966 ranch house in Denver Metro, Colorado. (I am not the original
owner.)
The attached garage does have a firewall (5/8 drywall) that separates
it from the house.
Two issues:

1. About 8-9 ft above garage floor is a hatch in the firewall; the
hatch allows access from the garage to the attic above the house.

See
http://picasaweb.google.com/bubbabub...39865428189714

The hatch is, essentially, a 2ftx2ft opening in the drywall/firewall.
The 2'x2' piece of drywall is not even attched with any hinges, it's
just put in place to cover the opening and is fastened with four
nails. Naturally, there is a little bit of space inbetween, so I would
like to seal that space - basically, seal off that whole hatch. The
idea is to ensure a good fire-resistant seal between the garage and
the attic. (Going forward, I won't use the hatch; there is another
hatch in the hallway inside the house for attic access.)

My question: what kind of sealant should I use to seal the spaces
between the hatch "square" and the firewall. Would any kind of fire
resistant caulk do the job? Or is there some kind of tape I'm
supposed to use?

2. The firewall/drywall doesn't go all the way down to the garage
floor. Rather, it ends about 3 inches above the garage floor.

See
http://picasaweb.google.com/bubbabub...40119956909026

Also, the drywall protrudes by about 3-4 inches from the wall on which
it is mounted - you can see how the bottom edge of the drywall is a
few inches away from the bottom concrete part of the wall. The space
behind the drywall is hollow (some 2-by-4s, I guess), so I would like
to seal off the bottom in order to create a fireproof seal, but also
to prevent moisture/insect/debris intrusion. But that area is a bit
awkward to work around.

My question: what is the best way to seal off that space? Can I use
the expanding foam sealant that somes in an aerosol can?

Thanks
Bubba

Just mud and paper tape to seal the hatch...The bottom I would rip down a PT
2X? to fit REAL snug between the drywall and the concrete...Slide/tap the 2X
into the space between the drywall and concrete untill it is somewhat
straight and/or level and screw the drywall to the 2X every foot or so..No
need to attach to concrete...Let it float..It will be fine...Trim off any
drywall that extends past the new 2X...Screw a 5/8 strip of drywall to the
bottom..May have to do it by hand with a screwdriver if drill/driver can't
get under it...Get some vinyl cornerbead and staple or glue it on with 3M
Drywall Adhesive and mud with joint compound...I wouldn't try to nail
regular cornerbead to it or you might break the drywall.......HTH....1966 is
the same year my ranch was built too...LOL...