Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default What's going on?

Phil Hobbs wrote:

Get a real newsreader, like Thunderbird. Then you can set message
filters and get rid of that crap. It's mostly coming via Google, but
they don't appear to care.

Oh, I think they care very much. IMHO what they care about is the amount of
newsgroups, the number of postings, the number of signed up users, and the
fact they can claim that they do not censor "Google Groups" in any way.

All of which sounds good on paper, but it encourages exactly the behaviour
we don't want.

Many people filter out Google postings 100%, what would be really nice to have
would be a news reader that could filter out most of the crap, if not all
from Google Groups and leave the rest.

I used to filter out Google 100% with my newsreader (slrn), but found that
I was seeing too many replies to postings from Google that I would have
liked to have read. So I turned that filter off and suffer. :-)

Geoff.