Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default ceramic tile

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:17:29 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

mm wrote:
I was visiting my brother and they have 12" ceramic tile in most
rooms.

A lot of the tiles are about a half millimeter higher or lower than
the one next to it. Maybe less, but I can easily feel the difference
with my fingers, and when pushing a dresser, the dresser has to be
lifted up to get onto the next tile.

Is this work within professional standards?

A half millimeter or less?? That's less than 1/50 inch. I think your
brother should burn a joss stick and give thanks for a good job. He also
might want to bevel the dresser feet slightly.

I think the dresser had metal glides.

I'd noticed the uneveness before the dresser, but had nothing with
which to measure it. I usually bring tools, but now they want 15
dollars to check one bag, so I just took a carry-on. Even then I had
to make sure my screwdrivers were 7 inches or less. I wouldn't have
brought a memeasure of any sort anyhow, unless I drove.

Maybe it was more. It seemed uneven to me, and that even I could have
done a better job. But maybe the apartment (condo) came with the tile
installed, in which case it was good enough. I'll go again next year
and bring a ruler with a strastraight edge.