Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Archimedes' Lever Archimedes' Lever is offline

Default Does this exist...

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 06:52:45 -0500, flipper wrote:

Yep. The 'good ole days'.

I keep it on a couple of old machines that aren't useful for much else
as a reminder and I still like my AfterDark Star Trek screen saver.

Somewhere around here I've got my original XT too, and the Atari 800,
and the Sinclair. The Sinclair makes for an amusing paper weight, not
much different than when it was new, but Atari Space Battle is still
fun.

You have to DL Mame.

Then, you need to DL the now 130 GB + ROM archive of every upright
video game you ever saw, including the now working Laser Disc based
coin-ops. You can get away with about a 35Gb archive that gets you about
7200 games and the sound files for certain games that had cassette player
inside them.

The neat part is that it emulates nearly every cpu you ever saw, used,
worked with, etc, etc, etc, and they are ALL in separate code modules for
easy examination and learning from. Most popular upright coin-op cpu as
I recall was the Z80.

http://www.mameui.info/#

That is the Windows versions front end. You can compile your own under
Linux or any other platform if you know your way around makefiles.

http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=163

You need ROMs too, and those are on binary newsgroups like:

alt.binaries.emulators.mame

and you can find torrents of entire archives to get started with, which
is good if it is well seeded. A good example:

http://www.mininova.org/search/mame/size