Posted to alt.home.repair
Master Betty Master Betty is offline

Default ceramic tile

wrote in message
m...
Master Betty wrote:
"DD_BobK" wrote in message
On Oct 23, 4:43 am, "Master Betty" wrote:
"DD_BobK" wrote in message

On Oct 22, 2:59 pm, "Master Betty" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Master Betty wrote:
"John Grabowski" wrote in message
I was visiting my brother and they have 12" ceramic tile in most
rooms.
A lot of the tiles are about a half millimeter higher or lower than
the one next to it. Maybe less, but I can easily feel the
difference with my fingers, and when pushing a dresser, the dresser
has to be lifted up to get onto the next tile.
Is this work within professional standards?
*Every professional has his own standards. If this was a low bid,
fast install, get in and get out job I think those tolerances are
pretty good. If this is a multi-million dollar celebrity mansion I
would say that is unacceptable.
That seems like strange logic.
If you get paid less, you'd do the job intentionally sloppy? I'd
think a competent tile person would have to try to screw it up.
Fast, correct, cheap. Pick two.
Maybe I'm not thinking in the real world but usually the better workers
"are" the faster workers.
For example: If a barber is taking too long to cut my hair I know I
won't
like the results.
A cheaper tile job to me means cheaper tile. Not sloppy installation.
Jim
your POV might be correct in a parallel universe but in my experience
HeyBub's comment is "spot on"

or as we say "fast, cheap or good" ..... pick the two you'll be
happiest with......

A guy who's trying to deliver on a "cheap" job with skimp on mat'l AND
labor cost to minimize the overall cost

Very few people intentionally do sloppy work but the realities of
business & low bids force workers to cut corners and accept lessor
results.
Just the facts.

cheers
Bob

+++++

The guy doing the job in a mansion or a shack is probably going to lay
the
tile to the best of his ability. The pro is going to do the job right
regardless. He's not going to screw it up because he's laying cheaper
tile. ---

Dear MB-

I know there is a dead horse in here some where........

but you;re just not "getting it"

++++++++

Having laid a bit of tile myself and having worked in a tile store for a
short period may have something to do with it. I will not accept shoddy
work. Which is why I always warn anyone working on my house upfront. If
you'll accept shoddy work that's your business.

But I agree with the consensus that .5 mm is nothing to complain about.

I think it's a little odd that a post will set off an intense discussion,
but the OP never reappears or adds info. I suspect perhaps the
measurement was intended to be cm., not mm. A half mm. just doesn't make
any sense.

do you really find that odd? :-P