Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Sheetrock question

Colbyt wrote:
"Jack" wrote in message
news
You're right Rico. Not enough info.

I am wrapping the main trunk in the basement. On each side of the
trunk, I've got metal studs hanging down from a track. The bottom
track is in the same plain as the bottom of the trunk. This was
done to get the most headroom. The sides have got 1/2" sheetrock
already installed. I really don't want to drill holes into the
bottom of the trunk to tack the sheetrock, but I am thinking I
might be forced to keep the sheetrock from sagging.

I don't think you will have many problems in this situation.

I would add a single 1" DW screw at the mid-point or use construction
adhesive every 16-24".

DON'T install screws into the sheet metal duct, you will have nothing but
troubles as the sheet metal duct moves all the time as it heats up and/or
cools down, and it won't stop sagging as the sheet metal will just sag by
being pulled down by the weight of the drywall.

I have heard/read of some very strong "drywall" type materials, you may have
to do some Google research and it is expensive and special order once you
find a supplier.