Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default Clear glass shower doors?

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Oct 22, 8:44 am, Ed Mc wrote:

When I was a child I saw the man next door being given first-aid.
He had fallen through the glass doors above the bathtub. That image is
still in my mind 62 years later.

A few years ago I slipped in the shower and fetched up pretty hard
against the shower doors. I thought sure I was a goner, but I just
bounced off of them. I'm no lightweight (250 lbs), but those doors
just rang like a bell and shrugged me off. I believe they were
installed in 1992, and the previous owner of my house paid $800
for them, which was a ton of money IMHO.

They're clear. I hate them. (We used to have a well, and I'm not
sure I've ever seen them clean.) But I don't hate them enough to
replace them, or to make a lot of effort to clean them. We
squeegee and when I feel like it I scrub them.

The track, however, is not too bad, being L shaped rather than U
shaped.

Cindy Hamilton

===

tempered doors can withstand a golfball or baseball bat hit, or running into
them pretty hard. it takes something sharp like a knife or nail, or a blow
to an edge, before they'll blow.

62 years ago, they didn't have laws about tempered doors or windows.