Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default GFCI Troubleshooting

"terry" wrote in message
news:2fc66247-2712-4d44-a429-

stuff snipped

Hey thanks for the reminder. 'A GFCI not crossing floors'. However I
prefer the idea of a GFCI being in a weather protected environment!

For example: We have an outlet low down outside front door in a rugged
weather resistant box, fed with conduit that runs under the front
step. It's been there some 35+ years and is convenient and useful for
Christmas lights etc.

But would prefer to have the GFCI on it in the basement from which it
is fed! Rather than outside in the weather and beyond that old conduit
under the concrete front step. There is occasioanlly snow build up in
that area.

While I'm *definitely* no code expert, I'd agree with you, out of common
sense, to try to keep the "controlling" GFCI outlet inside and a much
simpler standard outlet outside. That's how I wired my outside outlet. The
GFCI controlling it also runs the radial arm saw and it's mounted inside.
Not sure if that's code, but the likelihood of my operating the saw and
anything else outside at the same time is very remote. The power to the
outlet is also controlled by X-10, so I can turn it on and off from anywhere
in the house.

The GFCI should have a temperature range rating. It could be very possible
that operating it when it's too cold could compromise its protection
capabilities. I'd be more worried that you've got it in a bad place with
regards to potential immersion. When I searched for guidance in the NEC,
all I found was a maximum outlet height limit, which I thought peculiar
since they didn't give a minimum one, which I thought would be more
important.

If I recall my outdoor box, it was set up for a standard duplex outlet and
wouldn't even accommodate a GFCI because they are typically in the Decora
style because of the need to access the "Test" and "Reset" button. Look
outside - the decision to use an indoor GFCI may already have been made for
you! (-:

Then there's the issue of resetting. You may not want to trudge inside and
out to keep resetting the unit. There's a lot to be said for local control
in these cases. Part of the reason I'm rewiring the fridge to its own GFCI
is because I want the reset button right near the protected unit as I have a
"blown out" knee (I think that's the proper medical term) and going up and
down the stairs isn't much fun at the moment.

--
Bobby G.