Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default OT - Insurers dropping Chinese drywall policies

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 16, 1:53=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article =

..com, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I would agree...the problem seems to be the lack of retrieving damages
from the manufacturers and importers of the bad sheetrock.

Nonsense. The homeowners need to go after the *builders* who used low-quality
materials.

So, if your brand new car burst into flame you'd sue the dealer?

Of course not. I'd sue the manufacturer of the car. Just like the owners of
the homes with Chinese drywall need to do: sue the manufacturer of the home.

Relying to nonsense with nonsense doesn't make sense.

Your analogy is, to put it charitably, severely flawed.

Hint #1: Who is the manufacturer of a house?
Hint #2: It's not the company that made the drywall, or the forester that
grew the trees that the framing was milled from.

LOL, and you'd have a hard time going after the drywall manufacturer in
China!

The builder is the one to go after. They have the deepest pockets and
they have insurance to cover this sort of thing.

I have a rental townhouse where after four years some latent defects
showed up. We didn't even have to threaten to sue, we went straight to
the builder's insurance company, even though the builder was out of
business they had had to purchase insurance against latent defects. We
were lucky, just some decks that had footings that were sinking that
cost the insurer only maybe $80,000 to fix while a nearby complex had
upper level decks that were falling off the building due to poor materials.

It's scary to look at some of the building materials used in new
construction.