Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Archimedes' Lever Archimedes' Lever is offline

Default Does this exist...

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 15:50:23 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 01:45:53 -0700, Archimedes' Lever
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:06:11 -0700, Robert Baer
wrote:

Worked very nicely.
With one exception, "upgraded" programs create files that are
incompatible with older versions of the "same" program; it is rare that
a program allows one to create files fit for other versions, as well as
rare that the newer version even reads (some of the) olcer version files.

Excel 2007 does a fine job of making backward compatible, as well as
co-compatible workbooks.

Also, if one makes a new, 2k7 file and attempts to open it with 2k3, it
will prompt you for the DL of the compatibility code so that 2k3 can open
2k7 files.

Not to mention you can save from Word 2k7 in Word97-2k3 format.

As I stated above, it has no problem creating a backward compatible
workbook.

As for Acrobat, I'm using 7 and you can make version 4 compatible
files and considering (free) Acrobat Reader 6 was the last Windows98
version that's a fair amount of backwards compatibility.

I am using the latest and greatest, like 9 or 10 or whatever. I do not
wait around like the Win 95 first release Luddite dopes do.

I couldn't remember off hand so I pulled out an old Compaq Contura
notebook with WFW 3.11 and the last Acrobat Reader for that was 3. But
it read the posted PDF just fine anyway.

WFW 3.11 was a great little ship. I sailed it for years on many a Sea.

What a blast from the past. 8 meg RAM, 4 bit color... woohoo! and
sound (such as it is) faked by software modulating the beep speaker.
Calmira installed to make it 'look like' (sorta) Windows95.

I had a 286 the drove a mono card and a 720x640 Hi Res Ball 12 Volt
Green mono CRT for my first box. It started out with a 10MB Tandon
original Full Ht HD and 2MB RAM and no math co-processor. I was lucky to
get it for $200.

I paid nearly $600 for my first 16MB block of RAM for a 386 I had.

I paid nearly $600 for my first SCSI 1GB Full Ht HD, which I referred
to as my "Black Hole" at the time. My how those times have changed.

At least the files are bigger for a reason. The images are higher
resolution :-) Now, don't go reading into this statement... ;-)