Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P[_2_] IGot2P[_2_] is offline

Default Photo-cells and CFLs

RBM wrote:
wrote in message
I have an outdoor floodlight fixture with a photo-cell to turn it on
at dusk and off at dawn. I can buy a screw-in photo-cell that works
with CFLs for only $8. If I cover the regular eye so it thinks it's
always dark and therefore will always be on, will the CFL work? It
would be cheaper than buying a new fixture.

If the existing photocell won't work with a cfl, it won't matter if you add
one that is designed to work with cfl's to the system. Do as John
recommends, and see if it works. Be aware that not all Par38 CFL lamps will
fit in every PAR holder socket. Many are built in such a way that the
transformer hits the lip of the socket before the lamp screws down to the
tongue of the socket.

Yeah, garage door opener light sockets are notorious for that.

Don