Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Plumbing question

wrote:
I have hot water heating, and removed all the baseboard heaters to
refinish living room floor. My house was built in 1951 and has old
style baseboard heaters they have two 1/2 inch copper pipes that run
through them and each section is 54 inch long and sweat soldered
together...anyway about 36 ft altogether. I made a few cuts to get it
apart and now have run into a problem trying to put back
together...it seems that the 1/2 inch copper they used in 1951 (or at
least what was used in my system) is about 1/16 inch bigger than the
fittings - 1/2" elbows & couplers.....................what to do? I
have tired using emery cloth to grind down old copper a little so the
fitting will go over it, but it is not working, after much work can
just get fitting on like 1/16 inch..... I can not afford to go out
and buy all new heaters right now......I only have 2 90's and about 8
couplers to sweat together........what to do???? any help
appreciated.

IIRC, there may be fittings used for A/C systems or something that are slightly
different sizes than water pipe fittings. They might be what you need.