Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Semi On Topic: Heating my shop

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 13:39:38 -0700, the infamous "Stu Fields"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:58:07 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
scrawled the following:

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 05:22:15 -0400, Wes wrote:

Maybe with the 4000# of metal in the room, the temperature swings won't
be too wide.

Right. With all that thermal mass, the room's thermal time constant
should be quite long.

With proper insulation, a 1,500W ceramic disc heater would be able to
provide and maintain warmth in most climes. It might take a while to
ramp up, but once warm, it'd stay toasty.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook

I've got a 40' container color dark blue on the south side of my shop. By
10' am I can't put my hand on the inside wall and leave it there for long.
There ought to be a way to harness that heat and use it to at least warm my
40x48 shop. I know that the air inside the container gets above 120
quickly. Since we only get about 372 days/yr of sunshine.....Any ideas?
I've thought about recirculating the air but don't have any heat transfer
data on the time required to heat up the container air in a circulating
environment. Should be an excellent place for heating water also...

Sure. Paint it flat black and fill it with 55 gallon water drums. Seal
the door openings well.

Now add outgoing air ducting on the bottom of one end and return air
ducts on the top of the other end, using thermostatically controlled
(only working when the air temps are a set amount different) fans to
draw the hot air out the top, into your shop. In the summer, put a
white tarp over it and use it for cooling (once or twice, before it
stays warm for the duration.